Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

2 1/2 year old, possible diabetes?

I am 25 years old and have been a type one diabetic since I was ten.  My mom is here visiting for vacation (also a type one diabetic) and she also noticed that my son was peeing and drinking alot.  I also thought that his breath smelt funny this past week.  When she mentioned it to me I went to test his blood sugar and it came back at 312.  I though that maybe he had something on his hand so about 30 min. later I tested it again after washing his hands and it was 240.  I waited about another hour and it came back at 189.  I called the on call doctor and he said that there was no need to take him to the hospital but to bring him in first thing monday morning.  I tested his sugar after lunch today, which he didnt really eat much and it was 198.  I tested it on both my moms and my meter just to make sure.  I am wondering what will happen when I go to the doctor on monday.  I am also wondering if a two year old could possibly have a freak blood sugar like this?  Any advice is helpful, I am still kind of in shock over the whole thing, and hate having to wait untill monday to talk to the doctor.  
4 Responses
Do you have a ketone meter or ketostix? Test him for ketones right away if you have a way to test.

Is he sick with something else? Sometimes, kids can have high blood sugars from illness.

I wouldn't mess around. I'd take him to a hospital. Kids can become very sick be in a life and death situation quickly.

Have you been to the Children With Diabetes forum? Go there and ask for advice. http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

Diabetes in children is nothing to mess around with. The sugar over 300 is very worrying.

Good luck. I'm sorry that you're going through this. I hope he doesn't have diabetes, but you can't take any chances.

He isn't producing any ketones, and the sick thing makes me feel a little better because he did have the flu about a week and a half ago.  The on call doctor told me to watch his carbs until Monday.  The 198 is the highest sugar I have had since I switched to sugar free juice and limited his carbs.  I am trying not to be a psyco parent before monday so I just test his sugar if it seems like he is crabby and drinking a lot.  My mom told me to do a fasting test to bring to the doctor, and his fasting was 138.  It has just been a very long weekend!
I'll check back in to see how you're doing. The CWD forum I gave you the link for above is excellent. If your little guy does have T1, it will be an excellent resource for day-to-day management and to help you with support emotionally. There are several toddlers with T1 on the forum and there are also a number of parents who have T1 with T1 kids.

Take care of yourself. It ***** to wait to find out what's happening.
I'm new to this forum , but when I saw the subject line "21/2 year old, possible diabetes", it caught my attention, because our daughter (who is 8 now) was diagnosed with Type 1 3 months after her 2nd birthday. Please let us know what you found out at the doctor's this morning. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine how scary it must be for you to think about your 2 y.o. having T1, since you are T1 yourself. A fasting blood sugar of 138 is high and a BS of 198 is high, even though it was after a meal. The fact that you have tested him and gotten numbers in the 200s and 300s is very concerning!

There are so many issues that are unique to managing a very young child with T1 diabetes. So, if that is the outcome (which I will be praying is NOT!), I would love to answer any questions and chat here with you about it anytime.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.