Diabetes - Type 1 Community

4 year old with possible type 1 symptoms

my 4 year old daughter has been experiencing excessive urination( at least every hour with stream each time), fruity breath on a few occassions and recently had a spell of what i was told by the emergency md that she had a virus.. she had vomiting/ high fever and headache... with the scent of fruity breath i decided to check her blood glucose with my machine and it was 151. I then began to check it 3 times a day for 2 days and her range has been from 90 to 270( 270 was approx 15 min after very small meal of chicken and plantain).. she is scheduled to see pediatrician tommorow but i am very concerned about diabeties.. every woman in my family has type 1 and her paternal grandfather has type 2. I am hypoglycemic... she is also very hper and irritable, constantly walks around with a water bottle in her had due to thirst... please help with any info
Unfortunately, it does sound as if your daughter is exhibiting symptoms of type 1 diabetes. The fruity breath and " virus"  could be symptoms of ketones in her urine and DKA, diabetic ketoacidosis which is a very serious condition. Her symptoms sound like diabetes and those kind of blood sugars don't happen for non-diabetics. However, I am not a doctor and it is good that she is seeing her doctor tomorrow.

What I do want to tell you is that if she is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes it will totally change your lives. You will have a great deal to learn. But in time it will be integrated into your life and your daughter will be able to do anything other girls can do. And the technology is getting better all the time and a lot of research being done. If she does get diagnosed send me a private message and I will give you a website with lots of other diabetic and parents of diabetics so you can learn from their experiences. Good luck and hang in there.
Zoe