Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

Are these symptoms of Diabetes

Hi My father had aortic dissection about 8 months ago and had open heart surgery, three months later he had a aortic valve replacement. After his second surgery he has had sharp stabbing pains all over his body and headaches. He says it feels like pitchforks stabbing hime. He has an appointment with a neurologost next week, but I have been reading and I was wondering if this can be diabetes or if not do you have any idea? I am really worried about my dad. Thank You for your time,
Kelley
1 Responses
Kelley,
I certainly understand your concern for your dad and I hope that you & he can get to the root cause of his pain and then relief it.

I am not a physician, but from what I've read the symptoms you describe don't fit the usual markers for diabetes (type 1 or type 2).  

Since newly diagnosed diabetic adults are more likely to be Type 2 than Type 1, here is info on usual symptoms.  I've taken some of this info from the www.JDRF.org website (which has lots of good information, if you should need it) and some from the Amercian Diabetes Association website.

From JDRF:
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a chronic, debilitating disease affecting every organ system. There are two major types of diabetes: juvenile diabetes (an autoimmune disease also known as type 1 diabetes) and type 2 diabetes (a metabolic disorder also known as adult onset diabetes).  {LRS comment:  adults typically develop Type 2, if they get diabetes, tho' some do develop type 1}

People with type 2 produce insulin but their bodies are unable to use it effectively. Type 2 is usually diagnosed in adulthood and does not always require insulin injections. However, increased obesity has led to a recent
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.