Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Diabetes concern.

I have been going to my foot doctor and I have tingling feet only when I lay down and get up in the morning.  When I move around after getting out of bed, I no longer have the foot problem.  I have noticed that my tongue has a white coating on it along with tension under my arms and sometimes in my neck like I have just worked out and they are stretching.  He did say that it sounds like an acute sign of diabetes.  Can you help me?
Dear AccurateOne4U
Thanks for coming to our forum.  We are volunteers and not medical professionals, which means you will need to follow up with a doctor near you, too.  We also are very experienced with Type 1 diabetes, often called Juvenile onset diabetes.

Here are some websites with reliable information about the symptoms of diabetes:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/print/ency/article/001214.htm (National Institute of Health), and
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp (American Diabetes Association - which specializes in education about diabetes, particularly Adult onset (Type 2).

Bottom line is that you should make an appointment with your regular physician to discuss your symptoms and undergo whatever diagnostic tests s/he recommends.  Many things can cause some of the symptoms you describe, so it's best to bring your doctor as complete information as you can.

Some of what you describe might be symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes (folks with well controlled diabetes may not have any outward symptoms because they are keeping things in balance) or not.  Only a doctor can help you figure out what's going on.  If you are diagnosed with diabetes, be sure to get a referral to an endocrinologist (a physician who specializes in treating diseases like diabetes) and also a certified diabetes educator (who  specializes in helping us manage day-to-day lifestyle).  Good luck.