Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

Diabetes in children

My three year old son drinks a lot, uses the restroom quite frequently, and says he's really tired a lot here recently. What is a normal blood sugar for someone his age? And could he possibly have diabetes? He has a family history of both type 1 & 2 diabetes on both sides. He isn't losing any weight and plays as normal.
2 Responses
231441 tn?1333896366
COMMUNITY LEADER
Normal blood sugar for a child is typically in the range of 70-100, with fasting numbers in the 70s - 80s (lower than for adults).  After eating it may increase, but should should not go higher than about 120.

Please have this looked at by a dr if you are concerned.  A 3 year old shouldn't be tired!
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
Children under five years old have a normal blood glucose range of 80 to 200 mg/dL. Five to eleven year old children have a range between 70 and 180 mg/dL. Children who are 12 years and older have a blood sugar range of 70 to 150 mg/dL.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.