A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.74k Members
20180083 tn?1494847740

Does any using Novolog Slide scale?

Does anyone use Novolog sliding scale for insulin diabetes? What health benefits you people get from it?
1 Responses
231441 tn?1333896366
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Simon,

Sliding scale is quite an old-fashioned way of dosing insulin, and can have much error unless one eats exactly the same way every day.

More modern approach is basal-bolus approach.

This is where basal (slow acting insulin) is adjusted to cover insulin requirements without food, and bolus (fast acting / meal time insulin) is dosed based on amounts of carbs and proteins that will be eaten at any meal.

The ratio of how much insulin to how much carb / protein is determined over time and with experimentation.  

My Dr first told me to use 1 unit of fast acting insulin for 25 g of carbs, and adjust from there.  Typically I will use 1 unit of insulin for 10 g of carbs in the early mornings, 1 unit of insulin for 20 g of carbs later in the day.

Hope this helps you find some direction.

Please come and ask more questions.
1 Comments
My dr wants me to change from a sliding scale to taking Novolin 3 units each meal.  Consistency is so important.  Then another week I am changing to Lantus once a day from taking Levimir 2x a day.  Change is hard for me but I need to remember to stay with my carbs small amount and protein and fat.  
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.