Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Does any using Novolog Slide scale?

Does anyone use Novolog sliding scale for insulin diabetes? What health benefits you people get from it?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Simon,

Sliding scale is quite an old-fashioned way of dosing insulin, and can have much error unless one eats exactly the same way every day.

More modern approach is basal-bolus approach.

This is where basal (slow acting insulin) is adjusted to cover insulin requirements without food, and bolus (fast acting / meal time insulin) is dosed based on amounts of carbs and proteins that will be eaten at any meal.

The ratio of how much insulin to how much carb / protein is determined over time and with experimentation.  

My Dr first told me to use 1 unit of fast acting insulin for 25 g of carbs, and adjust from there.  Typically I will use 1 unit of insulin for 10 g of carbs in the early mornings, 1 unit of insulin for 20 g of carbs later in the day.

Hope this helps you find some direction.

Please come and ask more questions.
My dr wants me to change from a sliding scale to taking Novolin 3 units each meal.  Consistency is so important.  Then another week I am changing to Lantus once a day from taking Levimir 2x a day.  Change is hard for me but I need to remember to stay with my carbs small amount and protein and fat.