Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Ear Infections Symptom of Diabetes

Hello Everyone! I am a type I diabetic (19 years) and have a 10 month old son who was 10 weeks premature. He has had constant ear infections, it would go from one ear to the other then to both and then the cycle starts all over. He always has fluid behind the ear drum as well. I think i have heard that constant ear infections (although i know they are quite common in babies and kids) could be an indication of diabetes. With me having it, i was worried about him possibly showing the first signs of it. I am afraid to ***** his finger to check his blood sugar. He is a very happy playful baby. I am hoping that i just imagined this, but wanted to see if anyone else had heard this. His ped. does not seem to be concerned. He got tubes put in on Monday. Should I suggest them checking his blood sugar just to make sure? Please let me know. If you have any information on this, please tell me. I hope i am just a paranoid over protective first time mother, lol. Thank you all for your help.
Christina
First of all, it is very understandable that you are concerned and feeling overprotective.  Most of us diabetic mothers have been there and share those same worries and concerns.  The good news is that I don't think ear infections alone are a sign of diabetes and it sounds like your doctor doesn't either.  If your child were to develop diabetes, he would experience other symptoms that would be very apparent to you, including excessive thirst and urination, lethargy, etc.  If it would make you feel better, go ahead and check his blood sugar, but I wouldn't encourage you to get into that habit because you can drive yourself crazy.  

We all know that there is a hereditary component to diabetes  and that makes us worry, but we also know that diabetes shows itself very loud and clear and that if it is going to happen, there is nothing we can do to prevent it.  So, my advice is to enjoy that very happy playful baby.  He will grow up very fast and be filling out those college applications before you know it, hopefully without the added burden of diabetes.  But if it should happen, and believe me, I know that is something that you pray every day doesn't happen, he will have a great role model and a lot of support.  Ultimately, we all have to remember, that although diabetes is a horrible disease, it doesn't have to stop us from having a full and rewarding life.  

In the meantime, I'm still supporting JDRF in their search for the cure and hope that there will be a cure in our lifetime!

So go play with that baby and enjoy every minute with him!
Es