Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Headaches in children with diabetes

My 9 year old son was diagnosed nearly 1 year ago with Type 1 diabetes.  About 1 month after  the onset he started getting daily headaches.  They are very localized (right temple.  His pediatrician ordered an MRI which was normal (THANK HEAVENS), but since then we have not been able to rule out the cause  of the headaches.  Has anyone else experienced such a side effect of insulin or problems with headaches in children with diabetes?  I am desperate for help.  Thanks.
While I have never heard of headaches being related to any kind of reaction to insulin, I know from personal experience that horrible headaches sometimes accompany low blood sugar levels. While they sometimes go away when the glucose levels return to normal after drinking some juice, I have found that sometimes they stay with me for hours after a low blood sugar spell. So my first question would be: has your son experienced any low blood sugar episodes at all on days when he has headaches? That would be the only diabetes-related thing that I am aware of that can cause horrible headaches.

Other than that, maybe his doctor should look at other possible causes. I occasionally hear of a child or adult who has suffered from reactions to one brand of insulin or another, but I personally have never heard of headaches being the symptom.
I am particularly interested in your posting.  My son is 12 and was just diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago.  Before my son was diagnosed he complained of headaches at least monthly for about a year and some were fairly intense.  I really think it was a signal of something because since he has been on insulin he has not had an intense headache or even mentioned one, but we are just a month into treating the diabetes.  The headaches may return, but I am hopeful they won
My 11-year-old son was also diagnosed 10 months ago with Type 1 diabetes.  He never had a headache in his life before this diagnosis.  My curiositiy was peaked when I read the headline to your post because my son also gets terrible headaches now.  On average, he gets 3-4 headaches per week.  Most of them are unresponsive to ibuprofen or Tylenol.  We check his BS immediately if he complains of a headache.  Most times he's within good range 80-120.  His control is extremely good with an A1c of 5.9.  When we spoke to the endo about this he said that it was due to hi or low BS's.  Not true based on our observations.  Occasionally with a bad site his BS will rise to near 300 and NO HEADACHE.  Occasionally, like tonight, his BS was 40 due to riding his bike and getting ahead of his dinner carbs and NO HEADACHE.  So, it's a mystery to us.  If you find an answer, please share it with us.  Blessings.  
Hi Kendaz,  Thanks for your comment.  Your son's headaches sound all too familiar.  I cannot  link them to high or low bs. My 9 yr old son has been type 1 for 1 year. we have had a CT and  and MRI both normal!  We are seeing a neurologist in 1 month.   I would love to know if you get any more clues on this. I will pass along my email if you can keep me updated on your son too.  Maybe together we can figure this out!

Thanks,
We are in the process of testing our 11 yr old son for diabetes. When I saw your post about headaches it got my attention. Our son suffers from severe headaches regularly to the point where they put him on migrain preventatives.
however the more research I do the more I feel this is just another symptom of diabetes. We too have gone the CT route and came up negative. I would be very interested to know if this is a possible symptom also. We have a couple more days of tests to do to hopefully rule out diabetes. The more reading I do though the more he sounds text book.
Thanks for your comments.  My endo doesn't think the two are related, but I am starting to wonder.  I feel like we have ruled out many other sources.  My son has been diabetic for 1 year to the day. He never had headaches before.  This is a huge change and adjustment for us.  His physician did tell me that if his blood sugar was low he could get a headache.  I cannot begin to express the frustration.  I would love for you to share any data you have.

Thanks,
Laura