A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members
544772 tn?1321288809

Long term Type I Diabetes

Hi. I've had Type I Diabetes for over 37 years now - I was around 3 when i came down with it.  My question is for other long term Diabetics. I've noticed over the years that my hypoglycemic reaction symptoms have changed - generally dramatically - at stages of my life. When I was young, I hallucinated. The next incarnation was paralysis of all muscle groups including vocal - I figured it was my body's way of shutting down unnecessary parts in order to keep working. Luckily I was able to scream MOM when I realized it was happenning, although the first time was pretty scary for my parents.

I've been thru the sweats and trembling. The last incarnation was just to pass out - thank God that's done (I hope). The latest I've seen was to get nauseous - which is eerily similar to my high sugar symptoms. Makes it very difficult to motivate eating at that point.

Has anyone else seen consistent patters. or understands why a type of symptoms would reoccur for a period, and then change?
5 Responses
544772 tn?1321288809
Still curious if anyone is reading this...
I've had type 1 diabetes for 20 years and my hypos have also changed over time.  When I was first diagnosed I used to get the trembles, sweats, go pale and it was easy to pick up on.  These days every hypo I have seems to vary, but I no longer get those typical symptoms that I got in the early days.  Now I seem to get really angry or depressed/stressed, sometimes I just pass out, sometimes I get a migraine, but it's really hard for me to know when my blood sugar is low.  My husband and kids usually tell me before I know myself.  I have to do lots of blood tests, but my sugars can get as low as 1.8 and I still feel ok sometimes, so it's very strange!
544772 tn?1321288809
Oh yeah - forgot that one - anytime I have a serious low (20's) I get a migraine - but I get them without also. It's more of an after effect for me.. 1.8 - is that a Canadian number?
I'm actually in Australia.  I'm not sure what 1.8 translates to but I know it is very low.  It is measured in mmol.
544772 tn?1321288809
I just found this somewhere...
For conversion  5.5 mmol/L = 100 mg/dL (US)
So.. that makes my 20's... say 25 tho I've been lower... 1.375 mmol/L
Your 1.8 would translate to 32.7 mg/dl - still very low.

I typically start getting goofy below 40. I had one incident last year where I woke up, tested - it showed 40, but I remember seeing 60. I took my Lantus (long acting) and proceeded to "fall asleep" on my desk in the study - at least that's what the kids thought. They know better now. I "woke up" on the floor under my desk 7+ hours later with my sugar at 36ish. I got lucky. :-) I woke up with my step-daughter's stuffed puppy in my arms, so she was thinking of me...
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.