Low sugar

I'm type 1 and trying to lose weight (10-15 lbs) but every time I go on my walks I have to suck on hard candy before I finish (45 min walk). Any suggestions? I feel like the candy is counteracting my weight progress besides the fact that low blood sugar is bad anyway.

Can I ask what insulins you take?   Are you on pump or MDI (multiple daily injections).  Is your basal insulin taken once or twice a day.

If you are going low from exercise, you may need to decrease your basal (this is easier if you are on a pump).  Alternatively you may plan your exercise after eating and inject slightly less than usual insulin for the meal, as the exercise will naturally bring your blood sugars down.

Be sure to monitor closely so you can see the effects of your experimentation.

You may also discuss with your Dr or Diabetes educator, as appropriate.

Hope this helps.  
It looks like you already got some great advice, but I just wanted to wish you luck with your weight loss goals!