Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

Toddler High blood sugar?

My almost 2.5 year old daughter has been drinking more liquids lately and I checked her blood sugar out of curiosity with my husbands monitor.  Right after she was done eating goldfish crackers and juice I checked her and the reading was 176.  I did not wash her hands and I read online that could affect the results.  She went to sleep 15 minutes later at 7 pm and I checked her three hours later and it was 101 (I cleaned her hands).  I checked her again in the morning at 6 am and it was 96.  I called my doctors office and the nurse did not know if these were normal numbers so she will be seeing her doctor this afternoon.  Should I be concerned?
1 Responses
127497 tn?1238861308
This is a little difficult to tell, however, I will give you my thoughts and opinion. The way that a diagnosis of Diabetes is made these days is this.  If she were to have a fasting blood glucose test of over 120 more than 2-3 times a definitive diagnosis would be made.  Also, if she were to have a random test one time and it was 200 or more, she would be diagnosed with Diabetes.  You must take into consideration, that even a normal person, after eating, blood sugars can and will rise. It would not be neccasarily unusual for a normal non-Diabetics blood sugar to go into the high 100's after eating. Of course I am not a physician and can not make an official diagnosis, I would be leaning that your daughter is probably not a Diabetic from the information you have given me.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.