Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.84k Members

Type 1 diabetes and weight loss

I am a 23 year old female with type one diabetes. I've been diabetic since I was 3 years old. I am extremely onto health and fitness, and have been most of my life. ,As I'm sure most of other diabetics I've always struggled with weight loss. Currently I am 5'9 and 188 pounds I have probably gained about 40 pounds since I was 20 years olddue to lack of nutrition from the age of 18 to 20. I exercise five days a week I run I wait live for about an hour and a half to two hours a day.   I am on the Paleo type of diet and eat around 1600 cal per day I cook all my meals to eat fresh vegetables nothing processed and a very rigorous with my diet but yet I have still been gaining weight uncontrollably. Now I know I am by no means I did not look overweight but this extra weight is just not normal for me has anyone else been having issues with losing weight and being a type one diabetic my blood sugars are and moderately decent control and I put a good amount of effort and taking care of it this weekend has been a huge burden on me I put more effort in that most people I know with eating and exercise and I'm not getting the desired results that I want it or even any type of weight loss.
1 Responses
231441 tn?1333892766
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi,

sounds like you are doing exactly what you should in terms of diet and exercise.

I would suggest a few things:-

1. Get your thyroid checked.  Low thyroid is a very common comorbidity with diabetes.  It an make weight management nearly impossible.

2. Ask your Dr. if you can try metformin (it helps with reduction in insulin resistance and therefore with weight loss).

3.  Try very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet.  YOu can read up on this via. Diabetes Solutions, Dr. Richard Bernstein.  He also talks about his diet on U-tube at Bernstein Diabetes University, along with heaps and heaps of other useful information.

Hope this helps.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.