Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

Type 1 diabetes pancreas cells

Does the autoimmune cells attack the alpha and delta cells and the pp cells of the pancreas, or just the beta cells.
1 Responses
Hello acba,

I am a volunteer adn not a medical professional, so my input is based on my experience in caring for my son who is now 10, but was diagnosed at age 3.

Everything I have read, says something along these lines....
"Type 1 diabetes: Type 1 diabetes, formerly called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes, is usually first diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. In this form of diabetes, the beta cells of the pancreas no longer make insulin because the body's immune system has attacked and destroyed them. "

Here is some info. on all 3 cells you mentioned:

Alpha Cell (I do not think these are attacked because SOMETIMES when diabetics experience low BG's, there body's glucagon kicks in, thus bringing the blood sugar up)
"A type of cell in the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas that make and release a hormone (glucagon) that raises the level of glucose in the blood."

Beta Cell
"A type of cell in the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas that make and release insulin."

Delta Cell (I believe these are the cells that are affected in type 2, which is different than type 1 diabetes)
"A type of cell in the pancreas in areas called the islets of Langerhans. Delta cells make somatostatin, a hormone that is believed to control how the beta cells make and release insulin and how the alpha cells make and release glucagon."

Sorry I could not give a straight answer, but, to my knowledge it is the beta cells that are attacked in type 1 diabetes.  

I am sure that others who visit this site, along with the other volunteers will leave additional comments to help aid in answering your question.

Thank you for posting.
SS
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.