Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

Type 2- Reversible? few doubts

My friend is 25 years , he is under minimum medication and diabetes was diagnosed a year back....his BS level Under control...medications have been reduced periodically starting 2 tablets a day and now being 1/2 a tablet a day.

1) Is diabetic reversible? Is it possible 4 someone to get free from diabetes, Nil medication, No more diabetic state being well controlled in diet , exercise, and controlled BS level. In such positive note... How and When or How soon we can achieve this?

2) Can the pancreas be made to work normal and fine for life time through natural therapies and remedies like ayurveda and massages. Is it good to take ayurveda treatements being in alopathy, scientific medicines. Or is it good to go 4 such therapies after having got the intake of the medicines stopped 4 diabetic.

3)Any way or new treatments to get the type 2 diabetic out of Blood or gene... What ways in the world?
6 Responses
133273 tn?1201546209
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  Type 2 diabetes is different from type 1 diabetes, which isn't reversible.  Type 2 can generally be reversed by changing your diet and getting plenty of exercise.  The reason is that type 2 is caused by the body not being able to absorb or use the insulin it creates.  By changing your diet, meaning eating better with fewer carbs, and by exercising to get rid of fat deposits which prevent that insulin absorbtion, it is possible for a type 2 diabetic to go from needing medication to not needing medication.  This has been possible for a long time already.

Natural therapies have no valid record of actually working to affect diabetes, either type 1 or type 2.  

I'm not sure what you're asking with your 3rd question, can you please clarify?
479071 tn?1240691661
I had a friend who was on insulin for type 2 diabetes for years. He was over weight .  then he lost a lot of weight started exercising and ate better and came off the insulin.
The fact is even if he achieved these things he would still need to be monitored by a Dr. and he would probably need to keep an eye on his blood sugars.  
as to your third question I think you are worried about him having children and what that can mean for them. If there was a way and I don't think there is they would be giving people an immunization shot for that since in this country diabetes is such a problem for children. I work in a school and its scary how many kids have type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Todays kids are so hooked on video games that they don't get out and exercise like they did years ago. Many of our children are over weight  do to the inactivity  and fast food and junk food they eat.
Type 1 is still a complete mystery . Diabetes is not as scary as it was 20 or 30 years ago, and type 2 can be controlled by eating right and exercising. As to being worried about a gene and passing it to a child you are ahead of the game since you know there is a family history of type 2 diabetes you can start your kids out  with eating healthy balanced diet and making sure they don't become over weight inactive kids. Type 1 is a different story and thats not your concern your concern is on type 2 .
hope that helps .

thank you! My third was intended to have a complete relief of diabetes to him and to the children..... So, keeping the child healthy with well balanced diet and exercise can prevent diabetes affecting them right?
thank you! thats a great positive note!  

My third **question was intended to have a complete relief of diabetes to him and to the children.....  Diabetes is No more in his Genes... Situation of that kind.

So, keeping the child healthy with well balanced diet and exercise can prevent diabetes affecting them right?
133273 tn?1201546209
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It's impossible to say definitely that it would prevent type 2 diabetes, but it's very likely it would prevent it.
402100 tn?1201546486
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It wouldn't change the genes, meaning that if a person has a genetic predisposition to be likely to become a type 2 diabetic, it will always be important for that person to watch his or her weight, exercise, and eat healthily. The genes won't be gotten rid of by doing this, so they do continue to be passed on in families. But that doesn't mean that all of the offspring will become diabetic. Type 2 really does largely depend on what the person does in the way of diet and exercise.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.