could my child be a diabetic

My son since birth is constantly thirsty and urinates alot.  His father side of the family and a severe history of diabetes.  His grandmother tested him this morning and his blood sugar was 180 about 2 hours after eating she retested him it was 140 should I be concerned?  His grandmother is on insulin his great grandfather had both legs aputated and eventually died from diabetes.  I know my grandmother had diabetes and was on insulin but is this something that can skip generations?
I would be concerned. The fact that he has some of the classic signs (thirst and frequent urination) would send up a flag. Plus his after meals glucose is high, it should never be above 120. I suggest contacted a doctor because if he is the sooner they find out the less chance of organ damage is good. High blood sugars affect the body in horrible ways. And there is no proof that with it being in family that people will get it, they just have a higher chance.