Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

diabetes symptoms in children

my daughter is 6 yrs old. she has to go to the bathroom many times during the day. her teacher spoke about this to me today at school also, as she was concerned. she also wets during the night resulting in having to wear pullups EVERY NIGHT. i just started doing a little research online to find out if this could be a sure sign of diabetes. we are going to try to sneak in a blood check this afternoon to see what her sugar level is before she snacks. what is the ideal sugar level for her age?
1 Responses
711587 tn?1229394924
My little one was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic only 6 weeks ago (she is 2 yrs 9 months old)

There are many symptoms to look out for including constant urinating, frequently drinking (my daughter was drinking upwards of 6 litres a day), being lethargic etc.

My daughters BSL should be between 5 and 12, and adults are between 3 and 8. So I would be concerned with anything above these ranges.

When my little one was diagnosed her BSL was above 30. The thing to remember is try to do a sugar check 2 hours after she last ate (as this is when the carbs/sugars are usually broken down and processed)

Good luck
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.