Diabetes - Type 1 Community

glucose levels in children

Can someone tell me what a normal glucose level for a child is?   For example a child has a small bowl of cereal and then is tested within an hour of that meal. This would be after having nothing else for the prior 12 or more hours. The reading was 144. Is that considered in a normal range?
Hello, IowaMom, from a fellow Iowan!  Normal target glucose levels are between 80 and 120.  Glucose levels rise in everyone depending on the food you eat, your body starts breaking the food down and absorbs the carbs before insulin is released to cover those carbs.  A 144 bloood sugar isn't abnormal for anyone.
hi iowamom
that is a bit high for a child who is non-diabetic. it may be totally fine but it is definitely something worth monitoring. you might try doing an informal glucose tolerance test (drinking juice and testing 1, 2 and 3 hours prior) and seeing if you get any numbers above 150, if so, see a doctor about it for some official tests.
From what I have read, I have to agree with the first answer. A blood sugar after a meal in the low 140's is considered normal. Above 150 would be considered higher than normal. The range does differ, depending on what doctor you talk to.
Hi, from a nebraska mom.

You really shouldn't check the blood sugar until 2 hours post eating, it takes that long to break down in our systems even children.  

Morning OR                          
              2 hours before       Before bedtime
Age (years)   or after a meal      snack        
------------------------------------------------------
Below 5        80 to 200           Above 150
                                   (if below 80 do a
                                   test in the night)

5 to 11        70 to 180           Above 120
                                   (if below 70 do a
                                   test in the night)

12 +           70 to 150           Above 100
                                   (if below 60 do a
                                   test in the night)

here is a website to check out.  http://www.boystownpediatrics.org/PedsAdvisor/content/pa/index.asp?page=pa_selfgluc_pep.htm
Sorry My computer did paste that well

Morning OR                          
              2 hours before       Before bedtime
Below 5 years old  first thing in morning or 2 hours before or after meal should be between 80 to 200.  Before bedtime snack is should be above 150

Ages 5 to 11 first thing in morning or 2 hours before or after meal should be between  70 to 180.  Before bedtime snack above 120.  

12 + years first thing in morning or 2 hours before or after meal should be between  70 to 150.  Before bedtime snack should be above 100.

I read one of your comments about the blood sugar for ages 5-11. My son is 11. His level was 176 4hrs after eating lunch, I think your saying that's within normal range right.(70-180 before bedtime snack.)?
I like some one to please tell me how bad it is to have a child with sugar level of 125. This was the first time that  I been told about it and as you can tell I am very scare I don't know what to do
I have question if a child level is 259 about 2 hours eatting and the children is complaining of being tired all the time
A BG of 259 is NOT normal! This child needs to be checked by a DR
bet617,
That seems awful high.  I wouldn't think it should ever be that high.  I am not a doctor, but I would call mine first thing Monday morning and schedule an appointment. Also, check for other signs such as urinating too often and excessive thirst.  Keep a diary.

I am on the questioning side of my daughters and just wondering.  I have pre-diabetes and am anemic both iron and b-12.  My five year old daughter is full of life, but is always drinking something and seems to use the bathroom more than one shoudl (but I have always too).  However, I was concerned as to if her b-12 was low because she looks pale and is dark under her eyes and just sickly looking alot of the time though she says she feels fine.  She also craves sweets and constantly is eating something sweet if I don't catch her first. She doesn't sneek nor disobey but is constantly asking.  She is not hyperactive though, rather calm.  Just out of wondering I took her blood sugar after 2 sips of half water/half juice and 2 pieces of old fashioned stick candy and it was 168 about 1 hour later.  I don't know that this is out of the ordinary.  Probably normal, but was just reading some others to find out.  She is 41 pounds and normal height for her age.  I teach a classroom of 5 year olds and church and she is right in there with all of them in size but less in weight.  Just wondering here also....
You could check to know is she is dumping sugar in her urine.  A free test.  Have her to tinkle in a cup.  Pour it on newspaper and let the paper dry in the sun.  
When it dries if you see shiny crystals that is sugar.  You could buy strips to test for sugar in her urine.  If there is sugar present get help and educate yourself.  There are people willing to help.  
if son's blood sugars are in 120's and he complains of not feeling well,stomach hurting, should I still be concerned. We are waiting on test results from Mayo. Doctors have said his blood sugars are "weird"and "puzzling".
Technically being in the 120's is normal but it varies on what doctor you talk to.  My son't blood sugars are all over the place for the last year going over 200 sometimes but I've been told unless he's consistently over the 160's it's not a problem.  Good luck.  I hope they can get it figured out.