Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2.81k Members

irregular symptoms in children

I have a concern that my child may have diabetes. I have been doing research on symptoms etc. to see if he fits the criteria.
My question is, Do children normally present the symptoms on a daily basis or can it show up with a matter of 2 or 3 days in between episodes? These with him are bed wetting,extreme hunger ,
episodes of weakness and severe vomiting with no explained reason. The vomiting only occurs every few days but the other symptoms are daily. He dispalys a few other symptoms but these are the most extreme.
2 Responses
i am nopt aphysican ,but the momof a type one diabetic.  

here are the symptoms of type one diabetes.
The symptoms may occur suddenly, and include one or more of the following:

Extreme thirst
Frequent urination
Drowsiness, lethargy
Sugar in urine
Sudden vision changes
Increased appetite
Sudden weight loss
Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
Heavy, labored breathing
Stupor, unconsciousness
If you think you have diabetes, call a doctor immediately, and drink fluids WITHOUT SUGAR to prevent dehydration.
Yes, these are all symptoms of type I diabetes in children. My child was wetting the bed, extremely thirsty all the time and was vomiting; his vomiting, we think, was contributed to a stomach virus he had at the time. We took him to the ER due to dehydration -they did a blood chemistry and his blood sugar was 399-they immediately admitted him to ICU and he was put on IV insulin. He's been a diabetic now for 3 years-he's now 9. He's has handled it amazingly well! In my opinion, I would definetly have the pediatrician run some further test on him to see if this could be the factor with your child. Hopefully not, but understand-technology has come a long way and diabetics can live long healthy lives if they'll get up off the couch, exercise and eat right!!!
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.