Diabetes - Type 1 Community

lipodystrophy

Konner is almost 8 and has been a diabetic for almost 4 years.  He is on the insulin pump, he is having problems with lipodystrophy. Large indents in his buttocks and also has indents in his stomach.  Our diabetic educator has mentioned that maybe he is having an allergic reaction to his insulin.  We are confused and do not know what to do. Anyone out there either have this problem or have a child with this please give us some guidance.  
I am the volunteer for today and am not a medical professional.  I cannot offer you any advice but I looked up lipodystrophy on the internet and there are several sites that were informative.  Again I am no expert but it did not mention an allergic reaction to insulin.  I hope someone else will look at this and be able to provide some answers.  I also would suggest trying to go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation website, www.jdrf.org and maybe you will be able to find some help and answers on the site.