Diabetes - Type 1 Community

normal glucose levels

I recently visited the doctor's office and had a glucose tolerance test done.  However, due to time constraints, we did not use the liquid glucose that is normally used in testing.  I was given several glucose tablets to eat, and my blood sugar was monitored before, 30 minutes after, and an hour after.  My blood sugar level never did spike.  It reached 110 at the 30 minute interval.  A follow-up A1C was ordered and the results came back normal.  However, I question the results.  The reason being is that I have a family history of diabetes, I has gestional diabetes with my second child, now 7 years old, I am have early on-set menopause and am on hormone therapy, I get severe headaches if I miss meals.  I am 39 years old.  I weigh 204 pounds, am 5'4 1/2" tall.  
I was wonder what exactly are the normal ranges for glucose level?  I am especially interested in the normal ranges right after eating and then about 2 hours after eating.  Thanks you so much for your time and consideration.

I'm a volunteer and not a medical professional so please check with your doctor to address any concerns you have regarding your particular condition.

With that said, below is an excerpt from the Virginia Mason clinic website: https://www.virginiamason.org/body.cfm?id=511
which states the norms for blood sugar levels:

"A fasting blood glucose test. This test is performed after you have fasted (no food or liquids other than water) for eight hours. A normal fasting blood glucose level is less than 110 mg/dl. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if your blood glucose reading is 126 mg/dl or higher. (In 1997, the American Diabetes Association lowered the level at which diabetes is diagnosed to 126 mg/dl from 140 mg/dl.)

A "random" blood glucose test taken at any time. A normal blood glucose range is in the low to mid 100s. A diagnosis of diabetes is made if your blood glucose reading is 200 mg/dl or higher and you have symptoms of disease such as fatigue, excessive urination, excessive thirst or unplanned weight loss.

Another test called the oral glucose tolerance test may be performed instead. For this test, you will be asked, after fasting overnight, to drink a sugar-water solution. Your blood glucose levels will then be tested over several hours. In a person without diabetes, glucose levels rise and then fall quickly after drinking the solution. In a person with diabetes, blood glucose levels rise higher than normal and do not fall as quickly. A normal blood glucose reading two hours after drinking the solution is less than 140 mg/dl, and all readings between zero to two hours are less than 200 mg/dl."

Hope this helps. Good luck and take care.