Bouncing of Blood sugar

I am type 2 diabeteic patient. Due to skipping meal, I developed adrenaline stress and by diamicron  metformin
But blood sugar was never high. Doctor gave me Lantus and Humalog. It was working well for a year. Then blood was becoming high, Doctor gave me LEVEMIR. If I take 10 units of humalog, after two hours sugar drops 4 points, I think this is the right dose for humalog for what I eat. I eat 60 gram Carb every meal. But 3 hours, sugar tries to go low, but insead, it bounces back and proceede to values and I start to feel hypo,  though I never see sugar 9. It is not hypo value, why sugar bounces up, why feel shaky, fear etc. I use LEVIMIR as base insulin. Why body is obstructing sugar to low, and why it gives hypo feeling.

Can any body me the reason and how to overcome this situation? My sugar is going high now.

MATIN
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
That depends;  the amount of levimir depends on your fasting BG  IE 6 hours of no food you should be around 5 to 6  if your higher add 2 IU every third day till your fasting comes down.

***  for some people Levimir does not last 24 hours,  for them they split the does 12 hours apart IE 11 IU in the morning and 11 IU in the evening
Helpful - 0
Please explain me clearly once again. I could not understand yet. Last time I eat at 5 pm. Take 11 unit of humalog, I go to bed at 10 pm to 10-30pm.
Sugar remains then 10 to 10.5. I do not eat any more. If I walk and able to make it down to 8.5, then I drink 2 ounces of skim milk at bed time. If right amount levimir is taken, how much should be fasting BG.

I am very confused with the behaviour of levimir with me. If I take 23 unit of levimir, I awoke at 4 am and see sugar is 8, but blood pressure up, the if I seat or get up, I get 9 to 9.5, sugar increases.

Probably I cannot go to 5 and 6 as fasting sugar, I have adrenal weakness, I may not tolerate that. I am 65 years old

Please explain two terms you mentioned:  a.   Fasting BG   b. 6 hours of no food.

Yesterday night, I brought to 7 by walking, I woke up at 4pm, sugar was 9, pressure did not increase. I gave only 18 units of levimir.

I feel worse in the morning, specially at 8:30, cortisol releasing time.

I tried only 4 units in the morning and 20 units in the night. 12 hours apart. But blood pressure become high. I stopped it.

Helpful - 0
Insulin does not effect blood pressure.

fasting is fasting no food or drink (except water) for 6 to 8 hours sometimes MDs want to see 12 hours no food or drink except water.

If correct levimir dosage is when your fasting BG is between 3.8 and 5.5

7 is too high so is 9  
test before you eat dinner COUNT THE CARBS YOU WILL EAT!! take your fast insulin. eat dinner, test 2 hours after you eat your BG should be the same as before dinner. if its higher than before dinner eat less carbs OR take more insulin.  repeat next time you eat.

I am not an MD

But proper BG levels are better for your body than high BG who says you cant have NORMAL BG with "adrenal weakness"

You should see an Endocrinologist (diabetes specialist MD)
Helpful - 0
I am about 1 and 1/2 month with high BG, as insulin or food tries to lower BG, blood pressure tends  to increase. I ate at 11am, hence no humalog is present in my body,Now time is 3-30pm,  sugar is 10.5, I ate a chicken leg, I am feeling shaky, blood pressure increased, and sugar went down to 9. Due to lack of food, sugar was going up, liver was dumping, chicken leg helped to stop dumping.  As soon as sugar will be stabilized, blood pressure will be stabilized. My problem was due to skipping meal, I must have to eat every three hours, atleast a little . But sugar is increasing for that too. I need more insulin, Levemir. I do not know  how I cope with the opposing forces of blood pressure and sugar decrease. My body will have to be habituated, so that it does not declare emergency, and excite liver and adrenals for dumping of sugar and increase of pressure. Now I am starting to believe that, meat can do that job. Three time carb and vegetable and three times meat. I will try it from tomorrow.

Helpful - 0
why is there no humalog because you eat at 11:00?  If all you eat is a chicken leg you dont need humalog.

I am confused  you eat , take insulin  measure BG with no plan and get unknown results.

I explained how to make a chart and how and when to test.  fill in the chart to see how it works.

STOP stressing it will raise BG
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I recommend the book, Think Like a Pancreas.

If you blood sugars are too high then you need to increase your insulin doses.

Levimir is your background insulin.  It shoudl keep your blood sugars stable, even if you don't eat.  You need to do something called "basal" testing to work out the correct dose.

Humalog is your fast acting insulin and should prevent your blood sugar rising high after you eat.  Humalog can also be used to 'correct' blood sugars that are too hihg.   You need to have a carb;Insulin ratio worked out.  This is usually worked out by trial and error and is indivicual.  Often people start off with a ratio of 1 unit of Humalog to 20 g of carbs and then adjust from there.

If you are eating low carb, then you will also probably need to dose for protein (about 50% of the insulin needed for carbs).  ie. something likee 1 unit of humalog for 40 g of protein (but you need to fine tune this for yourself).

Testing and monitoring and adjusting insulin based on the blood sugar results will allow you to have better control of your blood sugar.

But you also need to control what you eat, particularly the carbs.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community