Bouncing of Blood sugar

I am type 2 diabeteic patient. Due to skipping meal, I developed adrenaline stress and by diamicron  metformin
But blood sugar was never high. Doctor gave me Lantus and Humalog. It was working well for a year. Then blood was becoming high, Doctor gave me LEVEMIR. If I take 10 units of humalog, after two hours sugar drops 4 points, I think this is the right dose for humalog for what I eat. I eat 60 gram Carb every meal. But 3 hours, sugar tries to go low, but insead, it bounces back and proceede to values and I start to feel hypo,  though I never see sugar 9. It is not hypo value, why sugar bounces up, why feel shaky, fear etc. I use LEVIMIR as base insulin. Why body is obstructing sugar to low, and why it gives hypo feeling.

Can any body me the reason and how to overcome this situation? My sugar is going high now.

MATIN
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Can you please explain the situation:
I took 300gm Avapro before bed(BP medicin)
Bed time Sugar 10.8, took 20 units of Levimir at 11pm.
2-20 am Sugar  8.8 got up & went to washroom
4-20 am sugar 9.2
6am       sugar 10.1
While sitting, blood seemed low, but after taking Levimir, went to bed and blood pressure was 135/77/64
I ate brown rice 150gm brown rice by weight, 1 cup of cooked cabbage @ 2 ounce of milk I took 10 u nit of humalog at 6am. 8am sugar is 11.7
At 9 am humalog will finish, and it it will increase.

Yestarday before eating at 5am. sugar was 10, took 12 unit of humalog , sugar was 9.3 after 2 hours(7pm), at 9 pm it was 12, I walked 15 minute to bring down and it was 10.8 before bed..

Please give me suggestion

Helpful - 0
But  I have adrenal fatigue. It has been done by metformine, while i was not eating sufficiently . I had hypoglycemia, But I did not see low sugar in my meter. Emergency could not catch it, because liver dumped it imediately

Harbalists say to take lot of vitamins and minerals to recover adrenal. Harbalists say, eat  whole grain carbs very limited amount. I cannot eat white rice, any kind white, or anything with high glycemic index. I cannot eat white rice, it gives me very absurd feelings because of adrenal. They suggest to eat lot of protein.. BUt probably, MDs do not believe in vitamin theory

Can I take high dose vitamin C and B5.?  Some people take vitamin and minerals for adult over 50. Are all those OK with insulin? I understood your insulin fixation concept. Thanks
Helpful - 0
3 pm  now I feel bad, I see my sugar is 9.8, why I am feeling bad? Then I ate a little meat. Within a moment, sugar went down to 9. I must have to give food after three hours, otherwise I feel bad, I described it as a hypoglycemia, shaking. Due to skipping meal problem, body still remembers it, and demand food, if I do not eat then i feel bad and sugar bounces.  I need a food, that I can eat every two hours but sugar will not  increase that much. I could do it with nuts, but I cann0t eat nuts, because I am reactive to tyramine rich food. I cannot eat protein, other than animal protein. If I could in this way body used to forget this issue. If I eat protein, sugar increased before bed time, because it releases sugar later Please suggest me what can I eat. I will have to eat 3 pm and 9 pm
Helpful - 0

"I ate brown rice 150gm brown rice by weight, 1 cup of cooked cabbage @ 2 ounce of milk I took 10 u nit of humalog at 6am. 8am sugar is 11.7
"
you tell me

insulin lowers BG,  carbs raise BG...   your BG went up by 17%  and you say will continue to rise.  insulin lowers BG if your BG continues to rise you might need what is called a wave bolas some when you eat and some later.

Insulin lowers BG

you need to find your I/C ratio (insulin/carb)  and your how much each IU on humalog will brings down your BG when you dont eat.

Suppersally gave you some good advice.

Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER

your blood sugars are high.  Because your body is used to being high you will feel low, even you aren't. B ut damage is happening so you need to bring your sugars down.  I'll put my comments in capitals below

Bed time Sugar 10.8 (194.4), took 20 units of Levimir (LONG ACTING) at 11pm.
(WITH BLOOD SUGAR AT 158 YOU PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HUMALOG - YOU NEED TO WORK OUT THE APPROPRIATE CORRECTION DOSE TO CORRECT FOR THE HIGH).

2-20 am Sugar  8.8 (158.4 STILL HIGH)got up & went to washroom

4-20 am sugar 9.2  (165.5 STILL HIGH AND RISING - PROBABLY DAWN PHENOMENON)

6am       sugar 10.1  (181.8 THIS IS A VERY HIGH FASTING.  OPTIMAL FASTING IS 80 - 95 RANGE.)

I ate brown rice 150gm brown rice by weight, 1 cup of cooked cabbage @ 2 ounce of milk I took 10 u nit of humalog at 6am. 8am sugar is 11.7 (210 AFTER EATING.  THIS TELLS ME THAT YOUR HUMALOG DOSE WAS PROBABLY SLIGHTLY LESS THAN YOU NEEDED).

Yestarday before eating at 5am. sugar was 10 (180 ), took 12 unit of humalog , sugar was 9.3 after 2 hours(7pm) (THE 12 UNITS OF HUMALOG DID COVER YOUR FOOD REASONABLY - AS YOUR WERE 10 BEFORE EATING AND 9.3 AFTER), at 9 pm it was 12, I walked 15 minute to bring down and it was 10.8 before bed..

TWO COMMENTS:
1. Your basal insulin dose (levemir) appears too low, as your background blood sugar is always high.  I would recommend that you work with your doctor to increase your levemir dose such that you can get your base blood sugar levels down to a more normal level.  

That may need to be done over a period of days to weeks.  You may want to try splitting the levemir into 2 doses 12 hours apart as some people find this gives better coverage.  So, if you take 22 units then take 11 units each 12 hours apart.

Then you would increase (with your Dr. supervision) your levemir by probably 1 unit per dose every 3 - 5 days until you get your fasting numbers on target (ideally 80 - 95 range - though your dr. may set a slightly higher number).  Your before eating numbers should also be in this 80 - 95 range.  Increase only slowly and once you get close to target make adjustments even more slowly.

Your humalog is then used to cover what you eat and to prevent you going high from the food that you eat.  It seems that your humalog dosing is reaonable - you are fairly close in numbers before and 2 hours after eating.  I would not be changing your humalog dose at this time.

however, you do need to work out how to do a correction of high blood sugars using humalog.  For me, 1 unit of humalog will drop my blood sugar by 2.2 points.   So if I am say 9 and wanted to be 7 I would take 1 unit of humalog.

btw the coversion between numbers is 18.

Hope this helps.

Strongly recommend the book "think like a pancreas". See if you can get it from your library or find it in a bookshop.

The levemir is not dosed based on your blood sugar at the time of dosing.  It is based on your fasting blood sugar and your before eating blood sguars (assuing that your humalog dose is sufficient and you are not going terribly high after meals - which you could if your humalog is not enough).

Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
you will cause even more adrenal stress by having blood sugars all over the place.  So please do work on getting yoru blood sugars more stable and lower.

In your numbers for the targets:

Fasting ideally: 4.4 - 5.3
2 hours Post eating: < 6.6 (or maximum 7.7) - but also should not be lower than 4.4.

You will need to bring your sugars down slowly as you will feel hypo with normal numbers at the beginning.

Please be careful. While your nubmers are too high, we also don't want you to be going low.  This means you need to eat on a regular schedule, test frequently and be consistent with exercise and activities.  If you are more activce than usual you may need to eat a bit more / test blood sugar.

Please do also work with your Dr.  But be an educated patient.  Diabetes is nto something our Dr. can manage for us. We need to manage it for ourselves.

Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community