Diabetes at age 20?

Is it possible for a 20 year old to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? Or would it more likely be type 1? How late in a person's life is is possible to be diagnosed with type 1?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
It use to be rare but, yes it is possible for a 20 year old to have Type II diabetes. Unfortunately, the medical community has reported an increasing number of young adults with this form of diabetes. It is increasingly diagnosed in young adults and late teens that are sedentary, overweight/obese with very poor dietary habits.

Listen to your doctor and if the diagnoses is confirmed help this person control his or her disease.

troytroy
Type 1 diabetes is generally diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults.
People can develop type 2 diabetes at any age, even during childhood.
Yes and a person much older say 50 or more can be dx'd with type one.  Type 1 isn't just for kids anymore.
There is
type 1
type 2
type 1.5
Mody types 1 thru 8
gestational
Yes it is greatly possible....I am also 20 and my doctor thought I had type 2 diabetes. Recently I found out that I have type 1.5 diabetes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what is 1.5...lol. I know what is 1 and 2, but not 1.5. Believe me for a 20 year old I feel like I have way too many problems.
Yes, as everyone is saying, Type 2 can definitely be diagnosed in young people. However, do be sure you have the correct diagnosis, as LADA/1.5 is often misdiagnosed as Type 2 because people with LADA are able to maintain on oral meds for awhile.