Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Diet Management

How do I know how much protein, carbs, etc to have on 1900cal?  According to my size and to lose weight, that is the amount of cal. I should be ingesting.
You are mixing apples and oranges, casey (so to speak!). I'm assuming you are a Type II diabetic since you're posting here. In order to control your blood sugar you need to limit your carb intake. Unfortunately there is no exact number of carbs to eat. Some people, especially Type 2's have good results with controlling their diabetes by eating very low carb like 30 a day. Others do well with "lowish" or moderate carbs like 100. To control your blood sugar, what you need to do is "eat to your meter". In other words count the carbs in your meal and then test two hours after your meal to see if your blood sugar is in target range. If not, then you are eating too many carbs. Protein and other foods don't need to be taken into account to control your blood sugar, only in the sense that they are the other foods you eat to replace the carbs and feel satisfied.

I personally believe a balanced diet with smaller portions is key to weight loss. There are many schools of thought about good diets including low fat. Lower carb intake will help as well with the weight loss, as high carb foods are also high in calories. The difficulty losing weight for Type II's comes with your insulin resistance. You will need to add in regular exercise to the lowered caloric intake in order to lose. Also if you have trouble losing weight and have never done this it's important to have your doctor check your thyroid function.