Does diabetic brain fog exist?

My mom is 56yrs old and was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 years ago...she does not take the time to educate herself about the disease or take care care of herself... She has seemed to become forgetful in the past year, and claims it is a diagnosis of diabetic brain fog... I have yet to find it in any of my med books for nursing and believe it is an excuse.. So, is there such a thing as diabetic brain fog?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
"So, is there such a thing as diabetic brain fog?"

Sort of. When hyperglycemia [high blood sugar] exists for several hours increased drowsiness and confusion can take place. Sometimes people mistake fatigue as brain fog too. Becoming forgetful could also be an early warning sign of dementia, something a doctor needs to look closely at. At any rate, it appears your mom needs to be re-evaluated by her doctor and possibly have her medication/s adjusted. A heads up to the doctor so he/she can spend extra time with your mom. Good luck.