Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Gastric Bypass

Is it possible to have a gastric bypass if you are typer II diabetic?  I would like to have one but I am not quite sure about the risks.
Of course u can, and risks are something the clinic can help u with. I have heard alot of diabetes arn't diabetic after having this surgery, and it can cut the risk down to 0, so call one of the clinic and get a consult and get your questions answered... best wishes
Business man1
External User
I was Type II, but required long-term insulin shots in the AM, and short term fas-acting insulin shots with each meal....so in effect, they started classifying me as a Type II with type 1 insulin requirements.

Had the Gastric Bypass surgery13 months ago.  I was 424 pounds at my worst point, 384 pounds on the day of my surgery, and am now 190 pounds when dripping wet!!!  

Was originally on 16 precription drugs from 4 Specialists and my Primary Doctor.  Currently on a Fentanyl Patch (50 microgram) , and very recent;y was added PreQuip to cancel out the new Restless Leg Syndrome that developed after the surgery,,,,

Note:  I am no longer Diabetic...my sugar levels now average 86, and that is before eating, and 2 hours after eating.  It is perfect for a non-diabetic person.  In fact, the highest number I have recorded was 117 approximately 30 minutes after eating.  I also have normal blood pressure (114/80), have normal cholesterol (138) now!

I won't lie to you...It is alot of work and the surgery IS NOT a quick-fix.  You must committ to your new lifestyle, and new eating habits. And you must exercise....  That is crucial for you to lose the weight and maintain your sanity!  I now walk 4-10 miles each time I go and I ride my bicycle a minimum of 12 miles and have gone up to 18 miles per ride...

Because of the surgery, I can do anything!!!!  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, you can. However, the surgery does have major risks, including malabsorption & possible vitamin deficiencies down the road.

Have you tried low carb diet (as in really low - see the book Diabetes Solutions by Dr Richard Bernstein?) and really committed to it for at least 6 months.

Please do exhaust lifestyle measures before gastric bypass, which as the paster above said is not an easy or quick fix.

Question

How would your diabetes be if you eat the way you do now, without the surgery?

The data Ive read,  46% of the people that have the surgery end up gaining back the weight and being diabetic again in 5 years.