Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Tbd

Is it dangerous to use sugar free substitutes?

External User
I seem to be taking in more sugar free substitutes in place of sugar.  Is it better to just go without the substitute?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to you.

The research that I have seen on sugar substitutes indicates that it may be better to avoid or strictly limit sugar substitutes (particularly the chemical ones), and simply retrain your taste to not be so 'sweet'.  "natural" sweeteners may be better - these include stevia, monkfruit, and sugar alcohols such as erithyritol and xylitol (some people have tummy problems from these - and note they are toxic for dogs).