Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Novolog flex pen

how many days average can I get out of one pen?
4 Responses
The pen holds 300 IU...    so how much do you take a day add in 2 IU for each injection (priming)?

divide 300 by the daily insulin used will tell you how many days a pen will last
5303361 tn?1366212309
how many units per day are you shooting? take that number and divide into the capacity of the pen and you have your answer.
Monster
External User
The above comments are correct for the overall estimate if you take the same doses. My doctor has me on a sliding dose scale which depends on my pre-meal glucose readings.
Dinosaur
External User
Depends on how you use your insullin.  My doctor gave me an insulin to carbohydrate ratio to use.  I use 1 unit of insulin to every 12 grams of carbs I eat.  The less carbs I eat, the less insulin I use.  I have a very physical job for four hours a day and I don't even need my Humalog when I eat lunch.  My pen generally lasts me the whole month.  My Humalog is only good for 28 - 30 days.  As far as I know, once your insulin pen is opened, that's how long most of them last no matter how much insulin you use.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.