Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Sugar Tolerance testing

Last year I was told that I had hypoglycemia because my sugar levels would sink low.  I was also told that this was probably what causes me to get waves of lightheadedness.  I started keeping oranges and juice around and it seemed to help some.  

My GLU-RD #  (new range 60-99) has been crawling up from 101,103 107 and now 109
My GLycohemoglobin *Hemoglobin A1C # (range 4.0-6.0) was 5.8 and now is 6.0       No biggy right?

My 12 fasting Tolerance testing says
GLU-FST (60-99 MG/DL range) is 109
GlU-1HR  (58-160  MG/DL range) is 231
GLU-2HR (70-125  MG/DL range) is 236

She has on the sheet...Diabetes!  I eat very healthy and usually never  put sugar in anything.  How could I be hypoglycemic and have diabetes too.  She asked me about starting pills, but I don't really think I need them unless I drink a massive sugar drink that makes me dizzy and want to puke.  LOL  Or am I just that ignorant to this?  

I already take Lopressor, and Diazide/Maxide for high blood pressure and edema, Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, Lipitor for high hs CRP and cholesterol and low dose aspirin for heart issues.  I really hate to add another life long pill to this list.  

I would greatly appreciate any comments.
Let me say first, that I know how you feel about taking all those pills. Prior to being diagnosed with diabetes my medication included many of the same meds you take with the addition of a beta-blocker. In 1998 by fasting glucose level was 117, a little high but no biggy. Eighteen months later my glucose level was 418 and a cardiac catherization revealed numerous blockedges in my coronary arteries due to my untreated diabetes. I subsequently had to undergo triple bypass heart surgery. Since you already have in your words "hypertension, elevated cholesterol and heart issues" untreated diabetes could either kill or severely cripple you.

If you have doubts about your diagnoses contact an endocrinologist (sp?) and if indicated take your pills.

Take Care of Yourself,
troytroy
Thanks for the reply.  So sorry you went threw triple bypass heart surgery.  
Sorry I'm new to all of this and have to understand..  Would my levels prove me to be diabetic since they continue to raise on the 2nd hour or would I wait a month and retest and see what I test then to prove it?  How many times does it have to be positive to prove diabeties in other words?  

Thank you again for your help.   Amy.
Well you have to think of diabetes on a continuum with hypoglycemia on one end and hyperglycemia on the other.  You need to be in the middle, but apparently your body was/is releasing too much insulin, making you hypoglycemic.  But with so much insulin hitting the cells the cells become resistant which means type 2 diabetes.  If you are on medication your cells will not be so resistant (if you are on metformin which I think is the only medication that works for insulin resistance) and you will sometimes drop too low if you do not eat right (I mean eating the right amount of carbs at meals and regularly not necessarily eating healthy).  
I would give the medications a try even though it is hard to deal with.  I had to start with real low doses and work my way up.  Usually if you give it enough time you will get used to it and won't get so sick.  Don't think of it as a life long pill though.  Type 2 diabetes is usually reversible so if your weight is under control and your diet figured out you might not even need the pills, but for now it is better to do whatever you can to prevent it from getting out of control (take that from someone who ended up going blind).  i'm sure a pill is worth it in comparison to one day possibly losing your vision, right?
Also, when it comes to diet try to stay away from refined foods.  Stick with whole grains and high fiber which helps regulate blood sugar.  People don't realize how important that is but if you start reading labels you will be shocked at how much refined flours and sugar is in EVERYTHING. No wonder type 2 diabetes is an epidemic!  Sugar has many other names on labels that people don't recognize.  
Anyway, watching your diet is crucial because at this point with extra insulin being produced by your pancreas anything you eat (with the help of the medication) the insulin will store it for energy which makes it really easy to put on weight.  If you start to put on too much weight the insulin resistance gets worse and then not only do you have to battle diabetes but you have to battle weight problems.  So do what you can now.
hope that helps.
Thank you for explaining.  So I guess I am diabetic now huh?  As far as eating goes I eat pretty healthy.  I grow and home can our fruits and veggies.  For applesauce I use lemon and honey (if needed only).  For meat we eat a lot of fish, chicken and hunt and butcher our own deer in which is our red meat.  As for breads I like 15 grain.  I really don't like sugar.  It seems to make me sick to my stomach.  
I guess I'm angry and just not wanting to add sugar to heart and thyroid.  So sorry for your eyesight issue.  I have been having vision issues lately.  I was checked last year and given bi focal's and already cannot see right out of them.  Grrrr
Right now they are questioning womanly issues and doing a lot of test to rule out cancer there.  Test are still pending and some more next week.  Plus I've been having a lot of body pains.  
I'm guessing now that my skin dryness may or may not be thyroid or heart now along with the cold sweats, body aches, lightheadedness and bladder pressure and maybe it's just a lot of different systems.  So I'm angry about that too I guess.  Heart, Sugar, Thyroid and Cancer all run high in my family.  Yay.  Sorry I'll stop there.  I guess I'm just venting.  So sorry.  I hit 3 out of 4 family issues in which is scary combined.  
Just hoping I don't go 4 for 4. ;-O

Thank you so very much for your kind time to explain.  And thank you troytroy also. ;~)

Amy.
Well it sounds like you caught in time to take positive action.  Your A1C is still good although high for the normal range.  I am supposed to be at 7 or less, but I am also a type 1 so it is harder to control the insulin without a pump.
Anger and denial are normal with finding out you have diabetes too..so you're not alone there.  I come from a family of all type 2's who didn't take care of themselves.  Two of my aunts went blind and had kidney failure and my mother also had kidney failure.  My dad's best friend went blind in one eye and was a triple amputee.  I don't menan that to discourage or frighten you or anything, but that's the reality for people who don't take care of themselves.  So, at this point it is good you caught in before it's really out of hand and difficult to control, plus it realy helps that you eat healthy.
Depending on the issues, the womanly issues you refer to could be related to the insulin resistance (it's actually pretty common), obviously your doctor will let you know for sure.  In the meantime try not to be discouraged or too upset.  Keep in mind it is reversible, even if you do become insulin dependent one day, in most cases it can be reversed with diet, exercise, and medication.  Until that day though you have people on here to talk to, support you, and help you get through it. :)
Well I received a list of healthy low glycemic index foods and bad ones from my doctor.  It looks like I eat everything right.  The only bad ones I have is sometimes I eat regular white rice though and pasta noodles.  (my husband on likes the reg. pasta noodles)  We have been eating a lot more of the basmati rice though lately.  

My doctor seems to think that my diet is not an issue as much really; but, proportion and eating at better regular times are.  

I'm debating on trying to eat 3 times a day will make a difference on it's own or whether to start taking a pill or something for it.  I think I'll check out the local hospital and find out if they have a diabeties class for beginners type of thing on eating.  It's a starting place I guess to understanding it better?