Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Type 2 Diabetes reversal

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes... My A1C went from 6.9 to just recently 6.3..yay!  so does this mean i'm no longer type 2 diabetic? this is all so new to me.
Hi!  How long have you been diagnosed?  Did you start a new diet and medicine?  It sounds like you must have and it is working.  The thing is, now you are kind of in a position to keep working on it.  Usually you will have to continue medication to achieve the decrease in numbers you are seeing. What medicine do you take?
My doctor wanted to see if we could control it with diet before we started medication. I’m just 3 months into this and the diet seems to be working great!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Lizzy,  you are still diabetic... completely normal blood glucose is a hba1c of 5.0 or less.  Prediabetic is usually considered as 5.7 - 6.5, and diabetic as 6.5.    But being diabetic is sometimes likened to being pregnant...  whether 6 weeks or 9 months you are still pregnant. So slightly high or very high, is still diabetic.

To give you some perspective.  Normal blood sugars will typically be < 100 all the time.   Hba1c of 6.9 gives you average BG of about 160.  Hab1c of 6.3 gives you average BG of about 140.  Still a good deal higher than that of people without diabetes.

You are now officially a "controlled" diabetic.  Please keep working on diet and lifestyle measures to keep your blood sugars as well controlled as you possibly can.  Many people also find that low carb eating or even ketogenic diet is very helpful for putting their diabetes into "remission".

Do you have a blood glucose meter.   It can be helpful to use a blood glucose meter to monitor fasting glucose (ideally < 95) and post eating glucose (ideally < 120).  This will let you see the impact of what you eat on your blood sugars and guide you in modifying your diet.

Hope this helps.