Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Uncontrolled Diabetes and Early Pregnancy

Hi. I also put a post in the Pregnancy Forum. I'm deperate for information. I found out I was pregnant with baby #3 on July 4. I had my first pre-natal exam today (July 19) and they found sugar in my urine and did a finger stick and it was 300!! I also had high blood pressure. I was unaware that I was having these problems. I thought the dizziness and headaches were pregnancy symptoms (I'm 7 weeks 3 days). My doctor didn't seemed concerned and said they'd discuss everything at my next visit when the blood work came back. However, from what I've been reading I need to get this under control NOW and not wait 3 weeks. Is it possible that my baby has already sustained damage? I have no idea how long or high my blood sugar has been getting. I'm so worried that I may have caused harm or defects to my baby without knowing. I can't believe my doctor just said to wait til I see them again in 3 weeks.

Diabetes II runs in my family and I did have a problem 10 years ago with being pre-diabtetic but was fine with diet/excersice. I had no problems with my other two pregnancies. I know that I have to stop eating out and cut out all refined sugars and eat whole grain but what else can I do to control it? I don't have a monitor and can't afford one right now. I know my insurance will cover it but my doctor has to order it. I'm so frustrated. I just want to take care of this baby and I'm so afraid I've already harmed it. Please if you have any suggestions that would be great.
I'm a type 1 diabetic and have information about diabetes, but pregnancy and diabetes is not my strong point. I do know it is important to have tightly controlled blood sugars when pregnant and people diagnosed with gestational diabetes are usually put on insulin. There is a woman named Super_sally888 on this forum who knows a lot about this topic and if she signs on, she will respond I'm sure. Meanwhile, I am sending you a private message with a website with a lot more diabetics and I'm sure there will be people on there who are very knowledgeable about gestational. Best of luck to you. Easier said than done, but try not to worry. You might want to make an appointment with an endocrinologist or an OB/GYN who works with GD.
I am no expert but I have went this round twice and working on the third time. I have Type II diabetes and was on tons of meds. Every time I get pregnant I get taken off and put on insulin only but the insulin will need to be increased a little here and there throughout the pregnancy. I am 7wks and found out my blood sugars that were staying below 200 are now above 200 and almost to 300. I am having some difficulties keeping it lower and have a doc appt next week to tweak the insulin dosage. My first son was born 3wks early and was 9lbs even. He had to be on IV for a few days because he had trouble regulating his own sugars. My second son was also 3wks early and was 10lbs 8oz with no other problems. I know the blood sugars definitely affect the size and can affect the ability to regulate their own sugars but other than that...I have been lucky!

The doc has me on limited movements because of pregnancy problems I have in first trimester but they do recommend walking and watching your diet. Trust me...once I pass this crucial stage I will be back to walking and that will help lower the numbers. I hope you find some answers and congratulations!!
Thanks. I spent a lot of time researching online yesterday and made a list of foods low on the glycemic index, went to the market and stocked up and I also did some light exercise for 30 minutes last night. First time in weeks that I was actually able to sleep (yay no insomnia) so I'm thinking that it's helping already. I hope I won't have to go on insulin but I'll see what they say at my next appointment. Gotta do whatever I can to make sure this baby is healthy.

To SpiritWolf: Congratulations on your pregnancy and I pray that all will be well for you and your little one.
Thank you angelsrejoice! I am praying for you and all the pregnant mothers to have happy and healthy pregnancies as well  =D
These pranayam exercises will help control blood pressure during pregnancy.Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after about a minute.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril
then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years -  do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

These pressure points will help the diabetes.
Also everyday, press the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.
There are other breathing techniques and asanas, but are not suitable for pregnant women, so I have not mentioned.
COMMUNITY LEADER

Controlling the blood sugar in pregnancy is very important.  Target blood sugars in pregnancy are in the range of 70 - 120.

I got put on insulin very early in my last pregnancy and was on it the entire pregnancy.

I am now trying to get pregnant again and seeing my blood sugars have been higher than they should am now on insulin again.

I believe your doctor is very wrong by not taking immediate action.  High blood sugars can sometimes cause problems for the baby with a risk of heart and spinal defects.  I don't want to scare you, and from your post it seems you are already aware of this.  So I think you should be doing everything possible to manage this very agressively.

I would be getting a second opinion and getting into an endo as quickly as possible, definitely not in three weeks time.  And your doctor should be prescribing you a blood sugar monitor already.   He should be working for you and if he's not, he should be fired!

Ok, what to do now to get the sugars lower.  Exercise.  I would recomment at least walking for 30 minutes at a time (but fast enough that you are breathing harder than usual) at least twice a day. More often if you can (ideally you do this after every meal).

Cut out all white carbs immediately (sugars, bread, potato, rice etc.).  You also need to severely limit fruit and no fruit juices or soft drinks.  Don't take any foods that have been sweetened.  So go for plain yoghurt etc.   For now, until you can get on insulin (which I beleive you would require given your current sugars) your diet is basically going to be meat, eggs, some dairy and green veges.  This won't hurt for a few weeks until you can be in a better situation for getting this under control / get medical input.  And I do beleive this is very important for your baby.

You are very welcome to send me a message and I will answer you as soon as I can.

Best wishes