Diabetes - Type 2 Community

men and diabetes

Do diabetes slow down the desire to have sex in men?
Interesting question, sjmrsjohnson. From my standpoint, heck no, not one tiny bit. But then, I manage and control my glucose levels carefully and live a healthy lifestyle. Quoting from an article on mismanaged diabetes, "Researchers believe that up to 50% of people with diabetes will experience some sort of sexual dysfunction at some point. But even if diabetes doesn’t directly cause sexual dysfunction, other diabetes-related health issues can influence your sexual desire and may be a threat to intimacy within a relationship."
Depending on how well anyone takes care of themselves I think neuropathy is involved at some point in a diabetics lifetime. I would say in my opinion yes it is highly likely but may not be the only cause. Do you take antideppresents or high blood pressure meds, they can also be a culprit. To keep from further nueropothy problems make sure you are taking the best care of yourself and keep your blood sugar within normal ranges. I know at times this is hard to do, but you have to remember what I always tell people, Diabetes will kill you a little each day if you do not take care of yourself, it is as much a silent killer as high blood pressure.
Take care, K
"Depending on how well anyone takes care of themselves I think neuropathy is involved at some point in a diabetics lifetime."

I disagree with this statement. I know many patients along with friends and acquaintances family members with over 20-30-40 years of diabetes who never experienced any signs of neuropathy. All these folks manage and control their glucose levels accordingly to prevent neuropathy onset.
55 male living with diabetes  is it possible to have more than 1 type