Diabetes - Type 2 Community

very dizzy

one month ago started on metformin was told i have diabetes but i was feeling really good so now im on metformin and now i feel tired, don't want to do anything not even walk and also now i cant really eat cause im so dizzy afterwards sugar in the 400 cant get an appt at doctor cause it a free clinic what should i do
COMMUNITY LEADER
With blood sugars in the 400s you are at serious risk of complications.  Could there be a possibility that you have type 1 instead of type 2 diabetes.
It is very likely that you need insulin.  Can you get back to see a dr?  This is urgent!  You can have a stroke or heart attack with sugars this high.

Suggest that you also adopt a very low carb / ketogenic diet, with no added sugars/ grains/ sweet fruits and very limited carbs just from non0-starchy veges  to also help control your blood sugars.  But most important to see a Dr.

Please let us know how you are going!  Very concerned about your situation.
Tbd
External User
Have you applied for Medicaid? What state are you in? You need regular care and checkups when you have diabetes. Make yourself walk. Make yourself eat no sweets and low carbs.  If you go to a good dr it could be they'll put you on something else when you tell them the side effects.
hey there luvdogsandmusic, I love that user name.  :>))  We have things in common!  That's great advice also about type 2 diabetes. Do you have it?  Do you take any medication?
doingitallExternal User
I am taking Metformin, Invokna, and Trulicity. They seem to be working together. I also have increased my walking, and reading labels more at the grocery store.
I was prescribed metformin and declined to take it because I worry about diarrhea-I have recurrent polyps and family history of colon cancer.

My understanding is that metformin functions like a diuretic/stool softener-are you experiencing bowel issues as a result? Bowel issues can cause you to be dehydrated.

Very important you stay hydrated. NO FRUIT JUICES AND NO SODA POP UNLESS THEY ARE DIET/LOW CARB .

Lastly, your number readings are incomplete without knowing what you ate and when you ate it, before you tested.  

This why the better clinics want you to be fasting prior to testing-to determine your baseline-this is also why they want you to test in the morning after a night's sleep and before eating again.

Completely healthy people can have a high reading if they just ate a large piece of birthday cake and drank a 2 litre bottle of pop!
Right, try to follow the Glycemic Index of low and medium rated foods and that will
help to lower your A1C and glucose readings.