Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
409 Members

Gestational Diabetes

I was diagnosed with this at 28 weeks pregnant because 2 out of 3 of my glucose test came back abnormal. I started monitoring my BS 4x a time and they stay pretty normal. Fruit makes it go up kind of high, and fried foods (like fast food) but that's it and it's only been a few times. I told my OB it had got up to 150 before and she didn't seem concerned.. So I'm confused... Does anyone know What normal glucose levels should be when your pregnant?
1 Responses
231441 tn?1333896366
Hello,

Normal blood sugars during pregnancy are actually a bit lower than when not pregnant.

during pregnancy, following are the target blood sugars:-

fasting and before eating < 95 (ideally in the mid 70s -80s).
1 1/2 - 2 hours Post eating < 120, ideally < 100.

Never above 140.

Continue your monitoring.  Avoid any foods that make your blood sugar rise above 140.

If your fasting is consistently above 95 or your post eating above 120, then your Dr may consider starting you on medications.  Your blood sugar may get harder to control as the pregnancy continues, so please continue monitoring.

You may find it helps to reduce the amount of carbs you eat - eat more healthy fats and proteins instead.  A 30 minute walk after eating may also help in controlling blood sugars.

Hope this helps.
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.