Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
457 Members

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your...

... symptoms and signs at the onset of diabetes? - What Are Diabetes Symptoms and Signs?Type 1 diabetes symptomsSymptoms of type 1 diabetes are often dramatic and come on very suddenly.T1D is usually recognized in childhood or early adolescence, often in association with an injury or illness (such as a virus or urinary tract infection).The extra stress can cause diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).Symptoms of ketoacidosis include nausea and vomiting. Dehydration and often serious disturbances in blood levels of potassium and other factors follow.Without treatment, ketoacidosis can lead to coma and death.Type 2 diabetes symptomsSymptoms of type 2 diabetes are often subtle and may be attributed to aging or obesity.A person may have T2D for many years without knowing it.People with T2D can develop the hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic (“HONK”) syndrome.T2D can be precipitated by steroids and stress.If not properly treated, T2D can lead to complications such as blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, and nerve damage.Common symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes include:Fatigue, or feeling constantly tired: With diabetes, the body’s metabolism is inefficient and sometimes unable to use glucose for fuel. The body switches over to metabolizing fat, partially or completely, as a fuel source. This process requires the body to use more energy. The end result is feeling fatigued or constantly tired.Unexplained weight loss: People with diabetes mellitus are unable to metabolize food. They may lose weight even though they appear to eat appropriate or even excessive amounts of food. Losing sugar and water in the urine can lead to dehydration and unintentional weight loss.Excessive thirst (polydipsia): A person with diabetes mellitus develops high blood sugar levels. When kidneys filter this blood, the high sugar content overwhelms the kidney's ability to control sugar filtering. The kidney spill excess sugar into the urine, resulting in large amounts of urine. The body tries to counteract this by sending a signal to the brain to dilute the blood, which translates into thirst. Thirst encourages more drinking (i.e., water consumption) to dilute the high blood sugar down to normal levels and to compensate for water lost by excessive urination. Typically, people with undiagnosed diabetes will drink more sugary beverages, not just water, which drives the blood sugar higher.Excessive urination (polyuria): The body tries to rid itself of extra sugar in the blood by dumping it via urine. Excessive urination can cause dehydration because a large amount of water is necessary to excrete high amounts of blood sugar.Excessive eating (polyphagia): If able, the pancreas will secrete more insulin to control high blood sugar levels. With T2D, the body resists actions of insulin. One action of insulin is to stimulate hunger. Therefore, higher insulin levels can increase hunger. Despite eating more, the person with diabetes may gain very little weight and may even lose weight.Poor healing or slowly-healing wounds: White blood cells are critical to defend the body against infection and also to clean up dead tissue. High blood sugar levels prevent white blood cells from functioning normally. When white blood cells do not function properly, wounds take much longer to heal and become infected more frequently. Long-standing diabetes is also associated with thickening of blood vessels, which prevents good circulation needed to deliver oxygen and other nutrients throughout the body.Infections: Diabetes can suppress the immune system. Certain infections may indicate poor blood sugar control and can occur more often in a person with diabetes. These include frequent yeast infections of the genitals, dental infections, skin infections, and frequent urinary tract infections.Altered mental status: Agitation, unexplained irritability, inattention, extreme lethargy, or confusion can all be signs of high blood sugar, or ketoacidosis, or hyperosmolar hyperglycemia nonketotic syndrome (“HONK” syndrome), or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Thus, any of these in a diabetic person merit immediate medical assessment of blood glucose. Call your health care professional or 911 for immediate attention by a medical professional.Blurry vision: Though not specific for diabetes, blurry vision frequently occurs with high blood sugar levels.
Hearing loss , ringing in the ears and dehydration were my diabetic symptoms. Also sometimes my blood sugar would drop too low (40-) and I would have hypoglycemia. Also I had bladder infections that my doctor put down to menopause symptoms at first. I also have connective tissue disease which muddied the waters a bit until random blood work with my rheumatologist and my gynecologist showed elevated glucose levels. I have nine siblings and six out of 10 have diabetes. The first diagnosed was my youngest brother who died of diabetes complications age 35. I have told my four siblings who are not diagnosed yet to watch for symptoms of diabetes. They are not the youngest, my oldest sibling is free of symptoms. It might also be noted there are four different kinds of auto-immune disease with myself and my siblings.
After reviewing a letter written by my doctor, where I read he had prescribed Celebrex for me due to pain of Arthritis which had really messed up my neck, back and knees, I found that one of the side effects of Celebrex is Diabetes. I have Type 2, now, and have been being treated for it for over three years. I am keeping it under control, but it's not easy and I have a tendency to mess up when I cannot afford my medications. I am retired, living on a fixed income and money is hard to come by. As noted in the Celebrex info, this can also work into hypoglycemia. Just loads of fun here, huh?
At the onset of my diabetes, I was experiencing excessive thirst and yeast infections. When I found out I was diabetic, my sugar was 596. I did not realize how bad a felt until I started taking medication. Within three days I feel like a new person.
Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had long-term tingling in my toes.
I had not felt any of the symptoms mentioned in this article. However, it came into my knowledge during the blood test before my Angiography. I went through the process of coronary artery bypass grafting. After the surgery I managed diabetes through diet and walk. But now it is going out of control without medicines. The feeling that let me know that it is increasing is light headedness and a little dizziness. No other symptoms appear.
I am a 66 year old male and in good health, at least I thought so until I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. My first signs that I might have something wrong came after playing golf on a really hot day. We finished playing around 3:00pm and while sitting around waiting for food I experienced a cold sweat and lightheadedness. I was told to lie on the floor, a doctor in the room took my pulse and asked a few questions and I began to feel better.  EMS was called and they checked me out but did not find anything, really. I felt better after eating. I went to the doctor who did some follow up with a cardiologist who said my blood sugar was a little elevated and my blood pressure and cholesterol needed attention. At this time, I noticed that I was getting really thirsty, and of course urinating frequently. I chalked this up to old age. A few weeks later the same thing after another golf outing. At this point I knew that something was amiss. I battled all fall and winter with a cold and cough which I could not shake. Finally my wife insisted I go the doctor to see if I could find out what we could do about it. During this time, I was waking up every couple of hours and not sleeping very well. I again thought that this was why I was losing strength and was always tired. When I got to the doctor I was really feeling bad. My blood sugar that day was 356 and I had severe upper lung crud. After they determined that it was type II diabetes and I got on medication along with diet and exercise, I can truly say I really feel the best I have in many months. This is changing and I tell everyone to watch for the signs I had but ignored.
At 62 years of age, I had no symptoms that I was aware of. My doctor diagnosed diabetes through a routine blood test.
This is a brilliant article and I have learnt more in the last 20 minutes reading it than in the three months since being diagnosed. I am 54 years old and thought I had bad flu virus and went to the doctor. He sent me for blood tests. He found I had type 2 and high blood pressure. I have been off work for three months and I am feeling better.
I was a healthy 27 year old female when I found out. I had been training for a half marathon for a few months and had lost about 15 pounds, was thirsty, urinated more often than normal and had severe cramping in my legs at night. I chalked everything up to increased exercise. I had a cold/flu for about 2 weeks when I had some blood work done. My sugar was 627! I was diagnosed very quickly with Type 1 Diabetes. That day was certainly etched in my mind. But, I do feel like a new person and am probably healthier now than before!
The only sign now is that I have bad breath odor for more than six months. The symptoms still persist after mouth cleaning and extraction of one molar tooth. I noticed that when talking, the people around feel the odor. After talking for a while, I experienced thick and bitter saliva from the rear part of the tongue and at that time, the odor will be coming out in full force.
I had only blurry vision and slow wound healing, none of the "classic" symptoms of thirst, weight loss, etc.  So I guess that's something for people to consider--symptoms can be very subtle.
His father was a diabetic. He drinks gallons of water and is losing lots of weight. Where is there a doctor who can treat a diabetic with serious symtoms of diabetes?  We live in Orange County, CA and he has no medical insurance.
I've got most of the symptoms, blurry eyesight even though I wear glasses. My left thumb is numb; my feet are rough. I'm always hungry and thirsty, and I get tired most of the time.
My diabetes symptoms were frequent urination, high blood pressure and dizzy spells.
While I was awake at night with a sick child for a few days I noticed my 13 year old son waking up to urinate, which I never thought he did.  The floor around the toilet was sticky from his urine, I thought it was because I was using a different cleaner.  A week later my 14-year-old daughter said my son was urinating so much one day while I was working. He was looking thinner. I chalked that up to a growth spurt.  He was tired and I thought it was normal for growing teens.  He had wet his bed two times in that week, something he has never done.  After Type 1 Diabetes diagnosis, he said he was getting up three times a night to urinate, admitted he was very hungry after eating, and felt pretty crummy, but just kept going before he knew he was diabetic.
A blood test found I had diabetes, since then I have lost three stone in weight and only weigh just under eight stone now, too. I had another blood test last week and my doctor now tells me my kidneys are bad.
I have been told by my new doctor that I have diabetes and my number should be 6 but it is 14.
My diabetes symptoms were feeling always thirsty and frequent urination.
I just completed the tests through my doctor, for diabetes including the A1C. I do not have diabetes nor pre-diabetes, but my blood sugar drops to the 60s and soars to 149 after eating 1/2 apple only. My average weight was always around 124 to 126. Now I have unintentionally dropped to 115 to 116. My doctor says to eat 6 to 7 small meals a day and to drink lots of water and Pedialyte. I have been doing this since this started for the past 8 weeks, but still no changes.
It wasn't easy for me to know the early signs of diabetes but sometimes I got wounds that lasted for more than a few days and I got it checked with my doctor.
I was on medication for chronic diabetes 2. I went for a burst ulcer operation and afterwards my sugar levels were normal. I do eat very healthy, however, I need to exercise as I still wake up with pain in my legs.
I was less than 1 years old when I fell into a coma as a baby. I am now. 63 years old. Throughout most of my adult years I always took my shots of insulin. I remember when I was 20 I felt sick like i had the flu my head felt dizzy my eyesight was fuzzy and short of breath..I walked into an emergency room my blood sugar was 1100 with ketoacidosis. Now. After pan retinal surgery eyesight is 20/30. I have mild heart decease but veinous ablation surgery I have all fingers and toes. Im on dexcom g6