Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
400 Members

What's a good blood sugar number?

Dr tested my blood sugar and it was 103. He didn't seem alarmed but told me we would keep an eye on it

Curious what normal is for non diabetic??
Hello and welcome to MedHelp's forums. Thank you for this question.  We're happy you are working with your doctor and encourage you to do so.  Was this a fasting blood sugar?  The range that is normal is between 72 and 100 which indicates you are just ever so slightly elevated at 103.  This is probably why your doctor will keep an eye on it.  https://www.medicinenet.com/normal_blood_sugar_levels_in_adults_with_diabetes/article.htm.  There is more information in this article.

You can help keep that number under control by monitoring your diet cutting back on sugar as well as carbs and getting exercise.  

Let us know what you think.
Normal fasting blood glucose for a non-diabetic person will be < 95, with ideal considered to be in the mid- to low 80s.
One issue is that sometimes post meal numbers can be abnormally high, even while fasting appears normal or close to normal.

So I would recommend that you request an hba1c, which is a test for average 3 month blood sugar.  ideally that result will be 5.0 or less.  
You could alternatively buy a blood glucose meter and test your levels from time to time.

In any case, take this number as a trigger to look at your health, cutting carbs and particularly refined carbs and processed foods, losing weight if you need to, and exercising consistently.

please ask if you have more questions and we will be happy to respond.
Hey,normal blood sugar levels are less than 100 mg/dL after not eating (fasting) for at least eight hours. And they're less than 140 mg/dL two hours after eating.
For non-diabetics, normal is below 100. Prediabetics is 100 to 126 and diabetics is 126 and above.
Sometimes lack of sleep and stress can cause a temporary rise in the fasting level.