Peaks in Blood Glucose at Midnight... two nights in a row.

Hi all,
My son has started on Pump therapy about 9 days ago. As his endocrinologist is helping us going through the calibration phase of the pump, we are having difficulties getting the correct basal and bolus values.

The past two nights, at midnight, his blood glucose was at 19.1 (both nights, same time of night - midnight, same exact value). We spent those two nights helping our son get his Blood Glucose down and he was OK in the morning.

I am just wondering if any of you have an idea why he went so high around that time. Could it be growth hormones?

We are talking to his endocrinologist every day to review daily values and adjust basal and bolus ratios. We'll see what she says today, but I am trying to make sense of all this.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Furthermore...?
It can take Several Weeks to get one's Basil Dialed in...
In the meantime? Testing  often.. every 2 hrs... Yes, overnite
Set the alarm, test and it's also vital to know what one's Correction Bolus Scale is?  ie: Wake up and your 200..what do you take? what is your ratio?
After getting 120's at 2 hr levels, then you can strech it out to every 3 hrs...

If this sounds extreme thing to be doing? Consider the alternative...
Having to be in the Hospital doing this...
So best to be doing it in comfort of home.

If there is only a Few hours lag time btwn Eating and Bedtime? Odds are didn't take enough for that meal and thus it spikes in a few hours.. fast acting only last about 2-4 hrs and the Basil isn't designed to treat alot of carbs..

Good Luck
Helpful - 0
Sorry for the delay with an answer... staff volunteers are in and out for the holidays.

One effect of growth hormones can be an elevation to blood glucose levels because these hormones act to block the effectiveness of insulin. But there is another possible explanation that I want to make sure you are aware of.

I would be more likely to suspect that there was a delay in the digestion of his dinner meal, maybe due to higher fat content in meals those nights. I have noticed that meals having higher fat contents digest much slower than meals with lower fat contents, and I can find that my glucose levels rise some after my mealtime insulin finishes working when that happens. The result is pretty much what you describe. 'Normal' eating patterns mean variety. And variety in what we eat means variety in digestion times for meals. Not a real problem in daytime meals, but in our evening meal, it can be more of a problem, for we go to bed shortly thereafter. I notice that when I opt to eat meals with higher fat content (pizza and french fries being two prime candidates), I need to have more insulin working when I go to bed to cover the food still being digested. Fats do retard digestion time.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community