Possibility of partial diabetes insipidus.

Hello (sorry this is for diabetes insipidus not Type II)
I have always drunk more water than others and have become curious as to whether I have partial diabetes insipidus.

Recently I have been monitoring my daily water intake. It is usually around 3.5 litres, though if I exercise more it will be around 4 litres or even above; the temperature here is moderate so I do not believe I am sweating excessively.

I urinate 7 or 8 times a day; occasionally, though not too often, I wake up in the night and need to urinate.

My mouth becomes thirsty often so I always try to have a glass or bottle of water near; when I don't have water I become a bit dehydrated though, with the exception of one time when hiking, never seriously. When playing strenuous sport for 1 hour I would consume 1.5 litres and still be thirsty while others would consume less than 600 ml.

It is true that my mouth dries out when nervous.

I have had blood tests and urine analysis.

Specific gravity in the morning (after waking, without drinking) was 1.012
Specific gravity in the evening (with drinking) was 1.008

On the same paper as these results, the normal range for specific gravity is noted as 1.005 - 1.030. As on both occasions I was within this range my Dr is sceptical about the existence of a problem.

Electrolyte levels:
Sodium, Potassium, Chloride are all squarely in the center of the noted normal range. Bicarbonate (tested a few days ago) was 30 (in the range of 20-32); the last three blood tests (over several years) show bicarbonate to have been 33,31,34, while the other electrolytes remain in the centre of their range.

Thyroid is 1.10 (range 0.5-5.0)

My Doctor has suggested I measure the level of fluid urinated over a 24 hour period. I feel certain that my level will be above 2l, but I can't understand how this would distinguish insipidus from polydipsia.

If I want to test my levels of osmolality I need to go to hospital; given my symptoms I am not sure whether this is warranted.

I have had many other tests; I do not have diabetes mellitus, and my general health is quite good, though I don't feel energetic and I have chronic eye strain.

I am not seriously worried about this and my symptoms are quite manageable but I would like to know if I do have an issue. What do you think? And are there any other things I can do to test?

Thank you.

Best Answer
I see you have the word 'diabetes' crossed. Diabetes is a Greek word meaning large amounts of urine. Both diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus fall into this realm but both are separate mechanisms.

This forum deals mostly with type 2 diabetes, people who have high blood sugar levels [mellitus]. Diabetes insipidus is kidney related. For best answers, the forum to post on is Kidney Disease & Disorders. Good luck -
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you, I will copy this to the Kidney section.
Helpful - 0
In addition
In the blood test that was taken concurrently with the 'morning' urine sample (specific gravity 1.012), both UREA and CREAT readings were reported as below the norm (2.9L mmol (range 3.0-7.5),  56L mmol (range 60-110) respectively).
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community