Question re rise in blood sugar level

I have type 2 diabetes which has been controlled with glyburide.  All of a sudden this week my blood sugar spiked VERY high - My father passed away this week and I found out I have a blockage in my carotid artery which will require surgery.  My blood sugar hit 300 and I have NEVER had it that high.  My doctor has upped the dosage of my meds, but I can't explain the hike.  The increase in dosage has helped, but it is still quite high for me.  Can stress cause hikes like this????  I am hardly eating because of my fear of causing it to go higher.  Thanks for any help.  Or suggestions
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I t is a welknown fact that stres does have effect on blood sugar level as well as blood Pressure.
Unfortunately both  the Diabetes and Hyper tension are treatedsymptomatically and hence there is very poor respose in regulating both of the conditions. Both conditions are really not the diseases. they are the signs (symptoms for a layman's term) and hence what doctors can do is to merely bring down the figures!!
There is a need to change radically the definition of these two conditions and then focussing on the treatment accordinglly.
Helpful - 0
You're welcome. Good luck with the surgery.
Helpful - 0
No bp problems.  No change in eating habits - just the sudden rise.  Was beginning to suspect the meds mfgr.  They changed mfgrs.  Am on strict diabetic diet now - LOTS of protein and it is down a bit, but not much.  Will try this for a week.  Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for your prompt responses to my questions.  Very kind of you and appreciated more than you know.
Helpful - 0
Yes, stress can play a role with elevated glucose levels and so does an uncontrolled lipid panel and high blood pressure. Interactions with other medications comes to mind, lack of daily exercise and not following a diabetes diet all play major roles with higher than normal glucose levels.
Helpful - 0
stress will raise BG, and I'd say your under a lot of stress.  If your MD did not know that stress can raise BG you need to get yourself a endocrinologist or a better MD.  This disease is complicated.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community