blood sugar levels after exercising

Do blood sugar levels go up immediately after exercising?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I need to clarify my earlier post. Exercise does burn energy, and eventually exercise lowers blood glucose. When I mentioned "cardio level aerobic exercises" I meant this to be "rigorous" exercises. For example cardio aerobic, fast treadmill workouts, or even continuous pumping of weights.

In a way, your liver "has a mind of its own" and continues to produce glucose while you exercise. If you don't have enough insulin available to help the glucose get into the cells, and to regulate how much glucose the liver releases, then the net effect is that your blood glucose will be higher after exercise. Some people with diabetes will notice a significantly higher glucose rise directly after more strenuous activity and/or competitive sports; this is because epinephrine (adrenaline) is a hormone released during exercise, stress, excitement, or illness, and its effect is to cause the liver to release even more glucose to supply the body with the needed energy. Usually, this is a temporary effect, and later the blood glucose will go back to its original level.

I hope this makes it clearer.
Helpful - 0
Are you just going higher right after exercise? If so, that appears to be normal.  The likes of cardio level aerobic exercise will cause the release of glucose by the liver and for some people that causes a temporary rise in glucose levels.

Also, I wasn't aware of this. Look at the 3rd paragraph on the right that begins with the word Atheletes. http://tinyurl.com/c7l2ud

Helpful - 0
No, generally they go down.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community