Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

blood sugar levels after exercising

Do blood sugar levels go up immediately after exercising?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
141598 tn?1355671763
I need to clarify my earlier post. Exercise does burn energy, and eventually exercise lowers blood glucose. When I mentioned "cardio level aerobic exercises" I meant this to be "rigorous" exercises. For example cardio aerobic, fast treadmill workouts, or even continuous pumping of weights.

In a way, your liver "has a mind of its own" and continues to produce glucose while you exercise. If you don't have enough insulin available to help the glucose get into the cells, and to regulate how much glucose the liver releases, then the net effect is that your blood glucose will be higher after exercise. Some people with diabetes will notice a significantly higher glucose rise directly after more strenuous activity and/or competitive sports; this is because epinephrine (adrenaline) is a hormone released during exercise, stress, excitement, or illness, and its effect is to cause the liver to release even more glucose to supply the body with the needed energy. Usually, this is a temporary effect, and later the blood glucose will go back to its original level.

I hope this makes it clearer.
Helpful - 0
141598 tn?1355671763
Are you just going higher right after exercise? If so, that appears to be normal.  The likes of cardio level aerobic exercise will cause the release of glucose by the liver and for some people that causes a temporary rise in glucose levels.

Also, I wasn't aware of this. Look at the 3rd paragraph on the right that begins with the word Atheletes. http://tinyurl.com/c7l2ud

Helpful - 0
No, generally they go down.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 2 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.