Diabetes Forum

Advice me about the Type 2 diabetes and marraige

My parents are lot concerned about type 2 diabetes (cause of heredity) of my boyfriend.

My parents are worried and concerned about our marriage. Looks like they are unhappy, feared about the complications, Child birth and may reject the proposal. Recently, a doctor advised my family on marrying a diabetic. She has insisted on my boyfriend developing complication in future , may be within 10 years and he is only 22 now. Her talk was so scary that she insisted on the partners sacrifices for the diabetic and health risks and also lesser life span Because of this, my parents are not willing to go ahead in this wedding talks. I'm totally upset and worried. More than anything, I'm worried on his healthy life and future. He is not on insulin but on medication that too not heavy. Is there high risk factors in Type 2 ?

I will be happy to see the posts on the positives of life. Also, I would like to know the complications, child birth, chances of child/Spouse developing diabetes, precautions, preventions and so on... Please help!

My heart goes out for all the diabetes affected people. I understand the pain and life you all go through. All you are loved and Blessed Children of the Lord. My prayers will surely touch your happy and healthy life ever. Never leave your hopes. You all will surely succeed!
I am sorry you are going through this stressfu time when you would otherwise be happily planning for your future. I hope the following information can help:
1) If your fiance has Type 2 diabetes that is recently diagnosed and is now under control, his outlook for life is actually quite good.  There are many individuals who have had Type 2 diabetes for years and years, and do not develop any complications at all. Some do, but there are treatments for that as well. Much of this is  in your fiance's and his physician's hands--good control will help him live a long and healthy life. But he needs to take charge. The natural course of diabetes is for  patients to need more medication over the years, but not necessarily, and even if you do it can be managed with good care and guidance.

2)Complications of diabetes are related to having continued high  blood sugars. If they are controlled, there is little risk of complications. The complications include decreased vision/various eye problems, heart disease, stroke, nerve problems, liver problems, kidney failure, digestive problems, frequent infections, amputations, impotence.

3)A spouse cannot contract diabetes, so your chances of having diabetes are totally dependent on your own history, lifestyle and family history. It has nothing to do with your husband-to-be.

4)Your children will have an increased chance of developing diabetes in the future, but often this can be avoided with weight control, diet changes and good healthcare. But yes, there is increased risk.

I hope this helps clear up some information/confusion. Your fiance has a good chance of doing just fine for many, many years.
Take care and all the best to you both.

His Blood sugar level is completely under control for a year. He developed diabetes only during 2006- Less then 14 months! Only during first two months it was high.Now its under control!
Thank you Anitha, How do you see the report of my boyfriend. Recent Feb 1, 2008 his Blood sugar level was 90( Fasting)- 110(After  food). Currently he is only having 1/2 a tablet in the day and 1/2 a tablet in the night. Diet under control. Minimum 30- 45 minutes of walking. How do you see this?

Also, You have mentioned so many complication of diabetics. Is it that he may have in future or will have at least one of those mentioned about 10-15 years from now? Any ways to prevent developing diabetics for my children (during pregnancy itself or after birth like medications, injection etc...) as you say there are increased chances.

How do you see a marriage relationship like us? From my parents end, is the fear valid? Is it worth to drop the proposal for the diabetic as the doctor adviced? This question is not my wish to drop the proposal but my parents thinks so much. Would you like to suggest me anything, you are welcome! Thank you
Those numbers you gave for your boyfriend's glucose control are very good, as is his current  exercise daily. The complications of diabetes occur when your blood sugars are not well controlled. So if he keeps the sugars well controlled, he may not develop any complications at all even 15 years down the line. There are other things that need to be kept in check, like blood pressure and cholesterol levels. If he is overweight, losing some weight will be very helpful and may even cure his diabetes at this time. If he is smoking, he should stop.

There is nothing specific you can do in terms of medications for yourself or your children to prevent them from developing diabetes in future. During your pregnancy, be sure to get good prenatal care to see if you have any signs of high blood sugars yourself, and if you do they should be treated. Otherwise, there is nothing specific aside from keeping your children healthy and their weight controlled.

I am afraid it is not my place to really comment on your relationship overall. In terms of his health and current state of his diabetes based on your information, I think perhaps your parents would feel better if they knew that his outlook is quite good as long as he keeps the sugars controlled.  If they have specific questions they can ask on this forum as well, or send an e-mail to my practice at ***@****.
Best of luck to you and your fiance.

Some Good news for you all.

My boyfriends sugar level is well in control as always been. In his last test, his blood sugar level was at 158 after food  as he had some drinks the previous night.(This scared me as the level should within 140. Am I correct?). Even then, His consumption of tablets is reduced from day and night - 1/2 tablets to just 1/2 a tablet a day. the doctors have promised if the sugar level is well in control, he may stop his medication  after some months. However, he should be well controlled on diet and exercise, avoiding sugars and more. How do you see this? Does this seem to be of any reversal of his diabetes?

Diabetes is never the end of life. Its even crazy to think like that. However, still negativity is all around me. I don't know how come the doctors in India have so much negativity about my wedding to my boy friend who is diabetic.They have shocking information to my parents  and also the friends circle of my parents and world can never stop their negativity. They call it reality and facts and uploaded all of those into my parents mind which really worries me. The talks are much scary too. More often, they complain that my decision on choosing the boy is wrong, although I don't feel the same. I don't know where humanity speaks here. Is my decision bad? Cant we live a normal happy life for many years? Is choosing diabetes for marriage is so wrong that will lead to our unhappy life? What is the reality and fact?

Is it true that the diabetes will suffer at least few of the complications even if the blood sugar level is well controlled due to consumption of tablets and side effects due to this after few years?

Hope you could understand what I'm going through.

Please help.
Thanks!
two more questions. Is there any possibility of type 2 diabetes changing to type1 after some years. Is there any possibility of pancreas not producing insulin at all in later stages?

Also , Is it true that early age diabetes will cause early complications in life? or is that other way ? Early age/Young age diabetes can well be controlled and can be reversed to normalcy soon? Which is true? or may Whats the actual truth?

Thanks!
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.