Diabetes Forum

Best foods to eat

What foods should we eat?  What foods are taboo?  What is happening inside of us when our sugar levels get high (400 or higher) and we have to frequently receive a shot to bring them down?  

Signed:  Friend of Big Roger
In general, foods that contain simple sugars (sodas, sweets etc) and any carbohydrates will cause your blood glucose to go up, and in some cases very quickly and quite high. Try to avoid all sodas that are not diet sodas, full-strength juices, any candies--these are on my list of "taboo" items. The other carbohydrates should be complex like wheat breads and beans, high fiber fruits or veggies. Try to  limit the "whites" (white bread, white rice, anything with lots of white flour like pasta) and instead replace them with higher fiber and complex carb types.

In regard to very high sugars, that can come from many reasons, the most likely being diet and inadequate medication doses. You would ideally need someone to review your food choices during the day as well as your glucose patterns to help determine what is the culprit(or several) and how it should be remedied.  

All the best and take care.
No doubt, diet is the main problem causing the quick rise is levels.  Now, my question is: What happens to harm the body when sugar levels go high and are medically brought down, only to shoot up again after the next bout of fries?

Thanks for your response!
         Friend of Big Roger
I am unaware of any harm to the body if the blood sugars are brought down to safe levels(i.e they do not go too low and cause confusion or seizures or passing out). Anytime blood sugars are too high your body has a chance to accumulate plaques and other types of damage to blood vessels throughout the body, so ofcourse we try to keep them from doing that. I do not know if the see-saw effect itself does harm as long as the sugars are not too low, but definitely the high ones do.
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.