Diabetes Forum

Gestational Diabetes

I'm 32 (+) weeks pregnant with my second child.  I was diagnosed as having Borderline Gestational Diabetes (others have refered to it as Impared Fasting and Glucose Intolerance.)  I, essentially, failed the three hour Glucose Tolerance Test by only one point (my fasting was 96 instead of 95.)  For percautionary measures, my OB had me monitor my blood sugar (with normal diet/excercise) for one week.  My fasting blood sugars were still elevated (mid-90s,) so I was placed on a reduced carb/Gestational Diabetes meal plan (30 breafast carbs, 15 snack, 60 lunch, 15 snack, 60 dinner, 15 bedtime snack.)  Also, since I tended to be inactive past noon, my OB asked me to start walking in the evenings (I usually do 1-2 hour walk post-dinner or a 1 hour walk pre-dinner.)  My fasting levels dropped immediatly to the mid-low 80s.  (My other levels have alwasy been "perfect."  My A1C was 5.4%)

My question:

I took my Fasting Blood Sugar this morning 1.5-2 hours after waking up.  (I had run out of strips last night and the pharmacy was closed.)  My level was elevated (96.)  This is especially high for me (I have had it under control for two weeks now.)  My post-dinner level (last night) was 111 (1 hour after dinner.)  Also, my one hour post breakfast (this morning) was 120 (high for me.)  I am sick.  I have a cold and I woke up with my uvula very swollen.  I was also a bit dehydrated.  Im concerned about this level mainly because I have an occassional "boardline highs" of 88, 89, and 90 these past two weeks.  Does this indicate I could be loosing control?  Or, could it be a fluke?  Im sure the first thing you will tell me is keep testing for the week and see what I get, but Im curious of your first reaction.

Thank you for your time!
Those levels are not too worrisome in themselves because they are still mostly within range of where we want your sugars. None were clearly elevated. They may be higher than your usual because you have been ill, but it may also be the natural course of pregnancy because as the months go along blood sugars tend to rise. If you have impaired glucose tolerance early in the pregnancy there is a higher chance of it progressing later in the pregnancy. So keep doing what you are doing with diet and exercise, but check glucoses often. If you find the levels going higher then you need to be started on some medication. Stay in close contact with your OB.
take care.

Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.