Diet and Fitness Community

What was the cause of your skier's thumb?

Skiing accidents are the most common causes of damage to the ligament that cause the injury known as skier's thumb. Injuries of this ligament make up 8%-10% of all skiing accidents.More specifically, a fall on an outstretched hand with a ski pole in the palm of the hand creates the force necessary to stress the thumb and stretch or tear the ligament.A simple fall on an outstretched hand with an empty palm usually does not create this same force. However, the thumb can also be injured if it jams into packed snow at high velocity.Another less common cause of this injury is an automobile crash when the driver has the thumb alone draped over the steering wheel.Any injury in which the thumb is abnormally bent backward or to the side can cause skier's thumb.
I got skier's thumb after I was working in the home on a ladder and it folded in on me.
I was at pom practice, doing the middle splits. I had my hands on the floor, in front of me, and lost my balance which caused my thumb to snap. ouch. I heard the snap and my thumb immediately began to swell. So...yeah.
I fell on my outstretched hand.
Accident: I went over the handlebars of my bike, and either the handlebars caught my thumb; overstretched and popped the ligament or I landed on my finger and broke it backwards. Not sure what is the exact cause of the detached ligament.   Symptoms: Within 2 hours: Swelling on the thumb, painful to move it, a little bit blue on top of the finger on the (hinge joint?). Ice and elevation was helping to release the pain.  Within the same day: additional swelling of the hand near the thumb.   Three weeks later: I had surgery was put in a cast for a week afterwards. Now I'm in a hard splint for the next 6 weeks: There is still swelling, but on the thumb only, there is only little movement in the hinge joint (I'm not allowed to move the whole thumb yet) probably caused by keeping it still for a long time.  Advice: I've been told by the hand therapist to try and exercise/move the hinge joint every 1-2 hours, this cannot damage the surgery because it's two different ligaments in the two joints.
I was playing with my son's dog trying to grab his toy from his mouth. Missed the toy and the 96 lb. lab's head hit my thumb backwards. Thought it was just a sprain so didn't see doc until two weeks later when it still wasn't feeling much better. This was a big mistake because I should have gone sooner. Six weeks later and it still is giving me trouble.
I tripped over the dog and fell with my hand/thumb underneath me. My ribs crushed my thumb. I am having surgery in a few days to correct the problem. Lots of swelling and still painful one week after falling on it.
I tripped over the dog and fell with my hand/thumb underneath me. My ribs crushed my thumb. I am having surgery for skier's thumb in a few days to correct the problem. Lots of swelling and still painful one week after falling on it.
I was running with my 70 lb Golden Retriever 8 month old puppy and she saw a squirrel and took a bolt and my thumb was abruptly and forcefully yanked back and sideways since it was caught and wrapped in the leash.  I shook it off but over 2 weeks later it was still very painful and seemed to be gettting worse to the point I could barely sleep.  Orthopedic surgeon says it is torn but no full rupture, but I think it is causing permanent nerve damage already.
Put my hand on boat windshield to brace myself as boat crashed into dock.  Not such a good idea.  3 months later, still hurts, and moves in directions it ought not, it is not broken however
Not entirely sure, after spending 2 months in a cast for a scaphoid/lunate injury after a fall, I was told I now have skiers thumb but did not have it when the cast was last changed about 4 weeks previous to the new diagnosis.
I went and got an xray and he told me i jammed my joint dubbel jam its been two years and it pop moves to another spot its steal week how can i make it better
Hit a patch of ice skiing.  I thought I had just jammed my thumb, so I didn't see my doctor until the next week.  I had surgery 2 weeks after the accident.  In a cast for 2 weeks.  Had the stitches removed, and re-casted for an additional 2 weeks.  Had that cast removed 2 weeks ago and am wearing a brace and receiving occupational therapy with a hand therapist.  Am also doing wrist exercises because my hand is stiff from being immobilized.  Improving, but this will take awhile.
I did it while skiing! I'm glad I went to the doctor sooner rather than later because someone I know had done the same thing and didn't go to the doctor until weeks or months later, which was too late for a full recovery with only a splint. I was almost too embarrassed to go because it didn't seem like a very big injury, but you don't realize how important your thumb is, and how strong it is, until you lose the use of it.
I damaged my thumb 1 1/2years ago, I  recently found out it was skier's thumb.  Is it too late for surgery? I was hoping it would heal on it's own.
I injured my thumb while playing catcher during a softball game. The injury occurred during a collision at home plate with a runner while my arm was outstretched to catch the ball.
I had a crash on my motorbike. Straight after, I couldn't get my lid off as my thumb had no strength. It was X-rayed immediately, and nothing was broken so I was discharged. Almost two years later, I find out I have skier's thumb and am scheduled for surgery in two months. This involves removing tendon from my wrist for use on my thumb joint. If it doesn't work, I have to have my thumb fused.
I was hiking in mountainous terrain.  My feet slid out from under me and I landed on my hand.  My thumb was swollen and quite bruised.  Five weeks later, the swelling and bruising have gone, but I still cannot grip properly and it is quite painful.
I dropped a barbell after lifting it overhead. It bounced off the ground, colliding with my right thumb. I saw the doctor a few weeks later because it was still painful. I'm going to need minor surgery.
I got skier's thumb through the use of a cordless drill wherein the screw I was tightening came to the end of its tightening and instead of torqueing the screw it applied the torque to my thumb (otherwise applied the torque force to my thumb instead of the screw) and thereby pulled/tore a ligament (or the like) and it has been pretty much a source of pain ever since.
I was subduing a subject in close quarters while grabbing the subject's shoulders and neck area to press him to the floor, and during the process I overextended my thumb and got skier's thumb. There was not much pain afterwards unless I moved it downward a certain way. I went straight to the emergency room after the incident since it didn't feel right. X-Rays were taken and no broken bones. A fiberglass splint to be worn was made, with orders to follow up with a surgeon. A week passed until I was able to be seen, during that time I had some swelling and bruising. I used ice to keep the swelling down, but no severe pains just sometimes a dull ache. Never even filled the prescription for pain medications. Follow up yielded that it is a torn UCL and surgery is to follow as soon as the insurance approves.
I tripped over a doorstop at church and broke my thumb in 2 places and tore the ligaments loose. I had surgery for skier's thumb almost 4 weeks ago and I am still in a brace/cast for another 2 weeks. I still have pain and am ready to get out of this thing! I was told this one would come off in 2 more weeks and I'd be put in another one. Wait and see; not fun!
I fell literally 8 inches while transitioning from boat pose to chair pose in yoga, which gave me a skier's thumb.
I injured my thumb flying over the handlebars of my bike; I think I bent my thumb back as my hands braced with the impact, my injured thumb also striking the hand grip before hitting the ground. It was swollen around the main joint, nail side up. I went to Accident and Emergency the next morning as it hadn't improved. I thought it was just a sprain, the doctor told me the x-rays show a bone flake that indicates the ligament has been torn off. Surgery was therefore needed. I had surgery 2 days after the accident.
I got skier's thumb by the classic description of the injury. Never been on snow skis and fell on flat, open palm with ski pole. I thought it would go away and didn't seek medical attention for about 9 weeks. Now I'm in a cast for a few more weeks. Seems like a simple injury, but hurts way more than I expected.