Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diet and Fitness Community
7.77k Members

extreme weight loss

I am a 20 year old college student and since highschool my weight has been between 135 and 140 and over the past 5 months my weight has dropped to 117 i have been eating the same i used to play sports in highschool but i dont anymore i have not been sick or had any pains. Is this normal or should i be worried????
1 Responses
579258 tn?1250649343
Any time your food intake, exercise and routine remain the same and you lose weight unexpectedly, at a rate of almost 5 lbs a month, you should have this checked out by your physician.  

In the meantime, you may want to journal your food intake, calculate the calories and note the type of exercise, the intensity and the time involved.  

There are calculators that can be used to determine the calorie intake needed to maintain your weight.  You will need age, sex, height and weight ... one such calculator can be found here ... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

A separate calculator can be used to determine the calories you are expending in your activity level.  You will need weight, type of exercise and duration.  

Please note that losing 1 pound requires a net reduction of 3,500 calories. Exercising also plays a dramatic role in weight loss and the calories burned can be counted towards the 3,500 calorie deficit needed to lose a pound.  So, in losing 23 pounds, you would have had to have had a calorie reduction of 80,500 calories.  

Hope this helps .. please let me know if I can provide you with any additional information.

Sunshine wishes,
Ranae

Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.