Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Epigastric hernia


  I have been having stomach problems for the last three years which have at times given me mild chest discomfort.

Recently I have lost a lot of weight and I have noticed that at the sight of my stomach discomfort (which is constant) when I tense my muscels there is a small protrusion. when I press on this it feels like a large boil or something on the inside.

Because of the length of time I have had this discomfort I am now thinking that the chest discomfort could be because of a heighted level of axiety caused by this stomach discomfort.

I have done some research of this Epigastric hernia but I am still unsure if the discomfort can be attributed to a hernia and if so could I have had this hernia for the last couple of years with out noticing it due to my weight.

Its location is around 3cm down from the middle of my ribs and I have more discomfort in the area when I am sitting down (stomach musscels are scrunched up) Also when I do have discomfort in my stomach or chest I seem to unintentionally cross my arms and hold my stomach in this area which releaves the discomfort some what.

So far I have had (MRI,CAT SCAN, X-Rays, Barrium X-Ray, 24 Hour PH, Endoscope) none of these procedures have picked up this buldge.

If you can give me your thoughts on this discomfort being caused by this protrusion any any advice on getting rid of this discomfort.

many thanks


3 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
The negative testing is reassuring as it would have picked up many of major diseases.

A negative CT scan and MRI would make a hernia less likely.  A physical examination by a surgeon can further evaluate whether a hernia is present.  If so, surgical correction can be considered.

Regarding the protrusion, it can be an infection, abscess, cyst, or other skin condition.  If this is considered, a referral to a dermatologist or surgeon can be considered for biopsy or drainage.  

As for further studies, I cannot recommend anything more than you have already had done.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
A related discussion, epigastric hernia surgery was started.
Avatar universal
A related discussion, numbness and burning pain on right side was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem