Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

5 years of hurting

i've suffered with a constant mid back pain for 5 years.  recently a hida scan confirmed dx and had surgery 9 weeks ago.  the constant back pain has been relieved, but i'm still having a gnawing, intermittent dull pain in my mid back.  my stools have become gritty, and like sandpaper.  i suspect that this gnawing pain is from this gritty stool passing through my bowels.  i notice no difference with fiber, or bulk in my diet.  wondering if this was an underlying GI problem that was masked by the gallbladder disease or if this is something that can easily be treated?  by the way, i underwent neck surgery and multiple trigger point injections for this low back pain before i finally found a dr. that was willing to listen, and sent me for several tests to discover the gallbladder disease.  greatful i went through the surgery, but need to know if i should give myself more time to heal before i approach my GP with this gritty bm questions.  can you tell me what causes gritty stools?
You note constant back pain, change in bowel habits.  Gall bladder surgery and neck surgery was performed in the past.  

Regarding the change in character of the stools - there are a variety of reasons, including anatomic abnormalities (i.e. strictures or masses), malabsorption, irritable bowel syndrome or inflammation of the colon.  

Before attributing the symptoms to irritable bowel, an endoscopy - either flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy would be the most reasonable next step to comprehensively evaluate the bowels.  

If negative, you may want to consider tests for malabsorption, including a fecal fat test and test for celiac disease - both of which may change the character of the stool.  

It would certainly be reasonable to discuss these symptoms with your personal physician.  A referral to a gastroenterologist would also be a reasonable option.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I REALIZED AFTER SENDING THIS THAT IT SOUNDED AS IF IT WERE A JOKE.  IT ISN'T.  IT IS VERY REAL AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ASSISTANCE.  THANKS
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem