ALT Slightly Elevated

During a regular blood check 2 weeks ago i tested liver functions and they all came normal except ALT which came slightly elevated at 55 (i was told normal range is up to 44).  The GP ordered an Ultrasound of abdomen and that came back normal (except showing some polyps in my Gallblader which i have had for few years and been testing (all smaller than 0.5 cm)).

I did another test at another clinic two days later and the result of ALT came almost the same.

I do not drink, and all my other blood tests are normal (slightly high Cholestrol).  I am overweight by about 20 lbs. I dont have any other symptoms that i can note.

Any idea why ALT is high and whether i should have any further tests?
Read more
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
The ALT is minimally elevated.  Alcohol and side effects from various medications can transiently raise the ALT levels.  

A normal ultrasound is reassuring.  You can consider blood tests to look for hepatitis.

If the tests continue to be negative, I would serially monitor the liver enzymes to ensure they do not rise.  

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.