This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Abdominal soreness

I'm a 29 y/o male. In late March, I had an upper gi done(No abnormalities other than "slight reflux" were discovered).I was too aware of the fact that barium could cause constipation. Therefore, I made every attempt to obey the urge to go. During a few of these attempts, I'd strain real hard. At times, I think I was trying to move something that wasn't there. Since then, I've had abdominal soreness that occurs, for the most part, when I'm walking. For the most part, it's not severe. However, there's been a few occasions that it's hurt pretty bad. Particularly, when I've been working for while (i.e moving furniture, lifting boxes).The pain is in the soft spot of the abdomen, below the sternum. There's some discomfort in the lower abdominal region, as well Occasionaly, I experience pelvic discomfort. For instance, sometimes I like to sleep in a fetal postion, I'll experience some discomfort....
     My question is, could the straining done any significant damage? Are there any chances I could have developed a hiatal hernia? I visited my doctor, recently. He said if the pain persists,he'd check my gallbladder. Or, maybe run a stress test.
     Thanks for your time.
Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Chronic straining due to constipation increases the risk of colon polyps.  If you are having chronic constipation, I would suggest an endoscopy to ensure there isn't an anatomical abnormality leading to the symptoms.  A colonoscopy or flexible colonoscopy would be the tests to consider.  

If imaging hasn't been done, an abdominal CT scan can be considered for further evaluation.  It is unlikely that chronic straining would lead to a hiatal hernia.  

Other tests to consider would be an upper endoscopy - which can evaluate GI inflammation that an upper GI wouldn't see - as well as an ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gallbladder.

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed