This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Abdominal spasm/twitch

  I have been having this odd twitch in my abdomen. It
  started a couple of weeks ago in my upper left abdomen. It feels
  similar to stomache rumbling, but lasts for hours. It seemed to
  go away for about a week, but is now occuring again in my
  lower right abdomen. It is not painful, but is somewhat
  uncomfortable. I haven't had any diet changes recently, and it
  is not occompanied by unusual bowel movement, gas, or diarrhea.
  It is not relieved by bowel movement. It appears to occur close
  to the surface; I can actually see it moving. I don't eat much
  meat and eat a lot of vegetables and exercise frequently. I am
  27 years old, and have a family history of colin cancer so I am
  a little worried about that.
Dear Joe,
The twitching that you describe in your abdominal wall is suggestive of muscle contractions and is not a harbinger of serious medical problems.  Your risk of colon cancer, however, is increased if you have one or more relatives with this condition.  The more relatives with colon cancer, the greater the risk.  In particular if there are three related persons with colon cancer and one developed the disease before age 50, then you must be followed more closely.
You should discuss your concerns regarding colon cancer with your physician.  Screening should begin 10 years before the earliest detection of cancer in your family.  For example if a relative developed cancer at 50, then your screening starts at age 40.  If the cancers occurred in the elderly, then you should start screening at age 40. Finally, if you have symptoms of blood in the stool or a change in bowel pattern, then you should be evaluated at that time.
This response is offered for your general information and should not replace the conclusions drawn from a careful and complete evaluation by your physician.
If you want, we would be happy to see you in the Division of Gastroenterology at Henry Ford Hospital and perform the appropriate investigations after we have had the chance to meet you and to review your history in greater detail. You can arrange an appointment with Dr. Bresalier, one of our experts in the diagnosis and treatment of colon cnacer by calling the Henry Ford Physician Referral Line at (800)653-6568.
*keywords: colon cancer

Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Avatar universal
A related discussion, stomach muscle spasms/contractions was started.
Discussion is closed